- Title: Oslo police detonate 'bomb-like device', suspect in custody
- Date: 9th April 2017
- Summary: OSLO, NORWAY (APRIL 9, 2017) (REUTERS) 16 VARIOUS OF INTERSECTION WHERE DEVICE WAS FOUND (DAYTIME SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 23rd April 2017 09:41
- Keywords: police bomb device custody
- Location: OSLO, NORWAY
- City: OSLO, NORWAY
- Country: Norway
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0026BOE5ON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Norwegian police set off a controlled explosion of a "bomb-like device" found in central Oslo on Saturday (April 8), and a suspect is being held in custody over the incident, authorities said.
A Reuters reporter described a loud bang shortly after the arrival of Oslo's bomb squad on Saturday evening.
The device appeared to be capable of causing only a limited amount of damage, the police said earlier.
Police declined to give information about the suspect found with a box at the intersection of Lakkegata and Groenland in Oslo.
Oslo's Groenland area, a multi-ethnic neighbourhood that is home to popular bars and restaurants as well as several mosques, is also where the city's main police station is located, less than a kilometre away from where the device was found.
Norway's police security service, PST, said in a tweet it had taken over the investigation from local police.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None