- Title: ALGERIA: Earthquake kills two and wounded dozens
- Date: 18th May 2010
- Summary: WOMEN AND CHILDREN OUTSIDE WITH THEIR BELONGINGS AND PEOPLE ERECTING A TENT
- Embargoed: 2nd June 2010 13:00
- Location: Algeria
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Reuters ID: LVA2HQKVIIA3VH2O3RO93SXCAY1S
- Story Text: Locals in Algeria's Beni Yellman surveyed the damage caused by an earthquake which struck the region on Friday (May 14).
As some villagers walked passed damaged homes, others sat amongst the rubble looking on at their belongings scattered all over the ground.
Two people were killed and 43 hurt on Friday when an earthquake struck a region of Algeria about 200 km (125 miles) south of the capital, Algerian state television reported.
The 63 year old Habara Mabrouk's wife was among the injured, ''My wife was taken to the hospital of M'sila where she was operated on," said Mabrouk as he sat next to the rubble covered with a blanket.
Some houses in the village collapsed completely. Other buildings were still standing, but residents were scared to go back inside and preferred to sit in the open or move into tents supplied by the military.
Emergency services were at the scene and treating the injured in hospital tents.
But locals are saying the authorities need to do more.
"I asked our town hall to give us tents and to find a solution," said Benali Hamdia.
Crowds of people gathered in the streets and open spaces, one local said people are still afraid and are having to sleep outdoors in the cold.
"An earthquake hit Beni Yellman, the inhabitants are terrified and their psychological state is not good. Every minute, there is a tremor. Some people lost members of their family and they don't have tents. They spent the night in the cold weather and under the rain. We are asking the Government, the local and national authorities to provide us with tents, 3000 or 4000 are enough so that the residents can shelter under the tents in case they are afraid. This is the demand of all the population of Beni Yelman, old and young people, responsible and citizens. This is what we ask the authorities. We are panicking and afraid," said a villager.
Algerian state television said the earthquake was of magnitude 5.2 and its epicentre was near a village in the M'sila region.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.