- Title: ALGERIA: Residents of Beni Yellman lose their homes in earthquake
- Date: 16th May 2010
- Summary: COUPLE ON THE RUBBLE OF A DESTROYED BUILDING MAN LOOKING AT RUBBLE EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL TENT VARIOUS OF EMERGENCY MEDICAL STAFF TREATING INJURED INSIDE HOSPITAL TENT VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS AND LOCAL PEOPLE STANDING NEAR TENTS
- Embargoed: 31st May 2010 13:00
- Location: Algeria
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Reuters ID: LVA86Y3NEINV62MPWTB0AB0LNNWV
- Story Text: Two people were killed and 43 hurt on Friday (May 14) when an earthquake struck a region of Algeria about 200 km (125 miles) south of the capital, Algerian state television reported.
It said the earthquake was of magnitude 5.2 and its epicentre was near a village in the M'sila region.
Some houses in the village collapsed completely. Other buildings were still standing on Saturday (May 15), but residents were scared to go back inside and preferred to sit in the open or move into tents supplied by the military.
Emergency services were at the scene and treating the injured in hospital tents.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None