- Title: ALGERIA: Algeria honours police women for International Women's Day
- Date: 9th March 2007
- Summary: WOMEN POLICE OFFICERS' BAND PERFORMING WOMEN POLICE OFFICERS SINGING WOMEN SITTING AFTER MUSIC OVER
- Embargoed: 24th March 2007 12:00
- Location: Algeria
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement,Employment
- Reuters ID: LVA1TKL6450ZRQSERPTGY21E0Y64
- Story Text: As woman around the world celebrate woman's day, in Algeria the festivities took a different turn as the country honoured woman police officers. Algeria honoured some of its police women in celebration of International Women's Day at an awards ceremony attended by the country's prime minister.
At the Algiers police headquarters, women officers and student officers gathered for the ceremony on Wednesday (March 7), one day ahead of the international occasion.
"I would like to extend my congratulations and best wishes, on International Women's Day, to our daughters in the police force and to all Algerian women," Prime Minister Abdelaziz Belkhadem told the police women.
"I ask God to grant you success and make you worthy heiresses of the legacy of those who preceded you, who yesterday were examples of bravery and sacrifice. I congratulate the free women of Algeria," Belkhadem added.
Women were active participants during Algeria's war of independence from France from 1954 to 1962, often taking part in guerrilla and intelligence operations against the occupying forces.
Algerian women were only integrated into the national police force in 1973, and now there are some 5,000 women in the field.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.