- Title: ALGERIA: E.U.'S Lady Ashton says strengthen Algeria-EU cooperation
- Date: 6th November 2012
- Summary: ALGIERS, ALGERIA (NOVEMBER 6, 2012) (REUTERS) ( ** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) DJENANE EL-MUFTI RESIDENCE IN ALGIERS CONVOY ARRIVING / EUROPEAN UNION FOREIGN POLICY CHIEF CATHERINE ASHTON WALKING OUT OF CAR / WELCOMED BY ALGERIAN PRESIDENT ABDELAZIZ BOUTEFLIKA ASHTON AND BOUTEFLIKA ENTERING BUILDING CLOSE OF REPUBLICAN GUARD NEAR DOOR VARIOUS OF MEETING BETWEEN ASHTON AND BOUTEFLIKA AND DELEGATES ASHTON AND BOUTEFLIKA WALKING OUT OF BUILDING ALGERIAN AND EU FLAG RAISED (SOUNDBITE) (English) EUROPEAN UNION FOREIGN POLICY CHIEF CATHERINE ASHTON, SAYING: "We have talked about the strength of the economic relationship with the European Union and the opportunity to explore ways of strengthening that even further. WAITS FOR TRANSLATION "And we have discussed the desire of Algeria to become a member of the World Trade Organisation. WAITS FOR TRANSLATION "We have also talked, of course, about political issues. I was delighted to know that 17 of the 38 particular issues raised by Mr Salafranca, who led the European Union mission for the election here, have already been implemented. WAITS FOR TRANSLATION "And we talked about the importance of human rights developing further, the political structures of the country. WAITS FOR TRANSLATION "And especially with you Mr. President, I have had the privilege of discussing the challenges that are happening in Mali and Sahel. WAITS FOR TRANSLATION "And I have benefited greatly, from your insights and your knowledge. WAITS FOR TRANSLATION "And also the opportunity to talk about deepening and strengthening the relations of the Maghreb. WAITS FOR TRANSLATION "Something that in the European Union we are considering fully now, and we wish to do, of course, in partnership with the countries of the Maghreb." BOUTEFLIKA AND ASHTON SHAKING HANDS CARS LEAVING
- Embargoed: 21st November 2012 12:00
- Location: Algeria
- Country: Algeria
- Topics: International Relations,European Union,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVACCCLC4ZBD0ZCQE6HAD6WR0H8S
- Story Text: EU representative for foreign policy Catherine Ashton says the EU is to strengthen ties with Algiers, as she meets with Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika.
European Union Foreign Policy chief Catherine Ashton met with Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika on Tuesday (November 6) on a one day trip aimed to strengthen Aleria-EU cooperation.
Asthon and Bouteflika were reported to have signed three financing agreements on transport, culture and youth employment.
"We have talked about the strength of the economic relationship with the European Union and the opportunity to explore ways of strengthening that even further," Ashton told journalists after the meeting with Bouteflika in the capital Algiers.
Ashton said discussions also touched on the prospect of Algeria becoming a member of the World Trade Organisation.
The EU foreign policy chief praised Algeria for its response to criticism by Jose Ignacio Salafranca, head of the EU's observer mission in Algeria.
"I was delighted to know that 17 of the 38 particular issues raised by Mr Salafranca, who led the European Union mission for the election here, have already been implemented," said Ashton, adding that human rights and political structures were a vital part of reform for the country.
The two sides would "deepen" and "strengthen" ties, according to Ashton, as the EU looks to extend cooperation across the Middle East and North Africa.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None