- Title: ALGERIA: SHEIKH ZAID BIN SULTAN ARRIVES FOR FOUR-DAY OFFICIAL VISIT.
- Date: 8th August 1974
- Summary: 1. SV Sheikh Zaid steps from 'plane and greeted by President Boumedienne 0.08 2. SV Guard of honour 0.11 3. SV Sheikh Zaid and President walk away from 'plane (2 shots) 0.19 4. GV Band playing 0.22 5. GV Sheikh reviews guard of honour 0.35 6. SV Sheikh shakes hands with members of diplomatic corps (2 shots) 0.51 Initials BB/2052 RW/AW/BB/2100 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 23rd August 1974 13:00
- Location: ALGIERS, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Reuters ID: LVA9WJ6RRBI1SDRP8CNWTYU27EAQ
- Story Text: The President of the United Arab Emirates, Sheikh Zaid Bin Sultan, has arrived in Algeria for a four-day official visit.
He was met at Algiers Airport on Wednesday (7 August) by President Houari Boumedienne and a military guard-of-honour.
The Algeria stopover is part of a six-nation tour by Sheikh Zaid. He has already been to Iraq and Tunisia. After Algeria, he will visit Morocco, Mauritania and Libya.
During his stay in Algeria, the U.A.E. leader is holding talks with President Boumedienne on bilateral cooperation and Arab issues.
It is expected the two leaders will talk about the Arab Summit scheduled in Rabat on September 3. The United Arab Emirates has supported Jordan's demand for an adjournment, while Algeria has not yet taken an official position, although it has stressed the adjournment would be a blow for the Palestinian cause.
Sheikh Zaid is also scheduled to visit tourist centres around Algiers and an industrial complex and university at Constantine, in western Algeria.
He will leave Algeria on Saturday (10 August).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None