- Title: THAILAND: BADMINTON FINALS
- Date: 16th July 1989
- Summary: 1. Highlights of men s final, including match point and presentation 2. Match point of women s final and presentation Initials SPORT: BADMINTON Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 31st July 1989 13:00
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA1PLH03IUYP82NC8RZDBQMUN07
- Story Text: BANGKOK, THAILAND
Allan Budi Kusuma of Indonesia fought back after nearly losing the first game of the final to win the Thailand Open badminton title on July 16, beating Thai champion Sompol Kukasemkij 17-14, 15-8.
The men's joint fifth seed from South Java trailed 10-14 and looked set to go down in the first game to unseeded Sompol when he had a sudden change of fortune.
Kusuma capitalised on his tiring opponent's erratic play to level at 14-14 and went on to win the next three crucial points and the set in 34 minutes.
His effective smashes against the Thai helped him wrap up the match, giving the Indonesian his third victory in three meetings with left-hander Sompol, who was also a Thailand Open finalist last year.
In the all-China women's singles final, third seed Tang Juihong recovered from a disastrous first game to beat Luo Yun 0-11, 11-3, 11-6.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - PRAPAN CHANKEAW</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None