- Title: ALGERIA: HEAVY POLLING IN MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS.
- Date: 31st March 1975
- Summary: 1. SV Man looking at election poster PULL OUT TO GV polling station 0.10 2. GV AND SV People collecting polling cards and voting. (2 shots) 0.26 3. SV Boumedienne enters and votes. (3 shots) 1.05 4. SV Boumedienne leaves. 1.14 Initials VS 10.15 VS 10.20 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 15th April 1975 13:00
- Location: ALGIERS, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Reuters ID: LVA2F0ZT6WXBIGWMMBZQD41FLDD7
- Story Text: Algerians turned out in rain and sandstorms to choose from among 23,000 candidates in municipal council elections on Sunday (March 30)
A heavy poll was recorded in the capital Algiers with almost a quarter of the electorate voting in the first two hours. In Oran Officials said there had been a heavy stream of women voters who had special booths to vote in.
With all candidates representing Algeria's single party, the National Liberation Front, the main interest centred on the level of participation of the eight million voters.
Half the candidates will be returned to fill the more than 11,500 seats on the Municipal Councils....basic units of Algeria's administrative system...which are renewed every four years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None