- Title: ALGERIAN-MOROCCAN SUMMIT MEETING IN WESTERN ALGERIA
- Date: 28th May 1970
- Summary: 1. MV Algeria-Morocco frontier 0.03 2. CU Sign 0.06 3. MV Soldiers parading (2 shots) 0.18 4. GV Officials 0.19 5. MV Military officials 0.22 6. GV & MV Soldiers and band (3 shots) 0.30 7. MV Officials greeting each other and into tent (2 shots) 0.46 8. SV Boumedienne and Hassan take salute 0.56 9. MV Motorcade (2 shots) 1.02 10. Tracking Shot onlookers 1.05 11. MV Motorcade (2 shots) 1.10 12. SV Onlookers 1.12 13. GV Ext. building 1.17 14. MV Int. Boumedienne and Hassan seated 1.20 15. SCU Boumedienne and Hassan 1.25 16. MV Boumedienne and Hassan speaking 1.26 Initials KM/VS/PN/OS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 12th June 1970 13:00
- Location: TLEMCEN, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Reuters ID: LVA2D6AQEZ33GNFE2KFRZ4BQBTEW
- Story Text: Algeria and Morocco agreed on Wednesday (27 May) to establish a joint commission to settle their disputed frontier. The agreement was reached at a summit meeting at Tlemcen in Western Algeria between President Houari Boumedienne of Algeria and King Hassan of Morocco.
Seven years ago the two countries fought a brief border war after Morocco claimed large portions of Western Algeria.
A communique said the two leaders had also decided to establish a joint company to exploit the Gar Djelibet iron mine. The mine is in Algerian-controlled territory which as in the past claimed by Morocco.
The communique said the very rich iron bearing stratum around it could only be economically exploited if the iron were shipped across Morocco to the Atlantic.
Villages along the 35 mile (55 kilometre) road from the border to Tlemcen were decorated for the summit with banners hailing the friendship between the two countries. In Tlemcen itself portraits of the two heads of state were posted on walls and in shop windows.
The two leaders also agreed that they would co-ordinate their work for the liberation of the Spanish territories in North Africa and stressed their support for other African Liberation Movements.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None