- Title: ALGERIA: CONFERENCE ON ARAB SOCIALISM OPENS IN ALGIERS.
- Date: 23rd May 1967
- Summary: Flags; arrival of Soviet ambassador; various delegates; Colonel Boumedienne; ministers applaud. Initials IF/VS/RM/EEH Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 7th June 1967 13:00
- Location: ALGIERS, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Reuters ID: LVA62G339T4WUQ1PD2HOC1OH3618
- Story Text: A conference on Arab Socialism in Algiers today (Tuesday) expressed its approval of a statement backing the United Arab Republic's (U.A.R.) decision to stop Israeli shipping passing through the Gulf of Aqaba. Eighty delegates from all over the Arab world attended this first working session of the conference.
The statement also called upon Arab workers in Middle East oil installations to cut off petrol supplies to the West if Israel should attack an Arab state. Approved despite reservations by some of the delegates, the statement described American pressure to keep things as they were on the Arab frontiers with Israel as an 'ultimatum' to the Arab world.
The first working session was held under the Presidency of Colonel Houari Boumedienne, the Algerian leader. Many members of the Algerian government were also present.
The statement issued appealed to progressive and socialist forces throughout the world to show their solidarity against 'international Zionism, Imperialism, and Reaction'.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None