- Title: ALGERIAN NATIONALIST LEADER VISITS INDONESIA
- Date: 22nd January 1961
- Summary: 1. LS. Crowd at ??? Airport. 0.06 2. LS. Abbas steps down from plane and greeted by Dr.Djuanda. 0.15 3. MS. Abbas and Djuanda. 0.21 4. MLS. Group moving away. 0.25 5. MLS. Pressmen and photographers. 0.29 6. CU. Abbas speaking on platform. 0.38 7. CU. Algerian representative. 0.40 8. MLS. Abbas and Djuanda across tarmac. 0.46 9. MS. Abbas greeted by crowd. 0.51 Initials EHR/V/AHS/PB Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 6th February 1961 12:00
- Location: DJAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Reuters ID: LVACF7PVQCD793NJF6EWSN14GA1W
- Story Text: Ferhat Abbas, leader of the Algerian Provisional Government, with headquarters in Tunis, arrived in Djakarta Jan.19 for an eight-day state visit to the Indonesian Republic.
He was met at the airport by officials and leaders of Indonesia, including First Minister Dr.Djuanda; Defence Minister and Army Chief of Staff General Nasution; and the Algerian representative in Indonesia, Mr.Lakdar Brahimi.
During his visit, Ferhat Abbas will discuss the Algerian situation with President Soekarno, attend many cultural performances, tour Java, and address the students of Padyajaran University.
The Algerial Nationalist leader will then visit Malaya for three days as the personal guest of Premier Tunku Abdul Rahman and later visit Thailand.
Ferhat Abbas, leader of the exiled Algerian Provisional Government in Tunis, arrived at Djakarta on January nineteenth for his State visit to Indonesia. First Minister Dr.Djuanda headed the welcoming party at the airport.
Others there were General Nasution, Defence Minister and Army Chief of Staff; and the Algerian Representative in Indonesia, Mr.Lakdar Brahimi. Ferhat Abbas is to discuss the Algerian situation with President Sukarno.
And he will be addressing the Indonesian Parliament on Algeria's struggle for independence. Also on his schedule - many cultural performances, a tour of Java and a visit to Padyajaran University to speak to the students. After Indonesia, he is going to meet Premier Tunku Abdul Rahman of Malaya ... and later visit Thailand.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None