- Title: LIBYA: Thirty Gaddafi fighters found dead at Tripoli camp
- Date: 26th August 2011
- Summary: ROAD SIGN AND AREA WHERE BODIES WERE FOUND DESTROYED TENTED AREA ON ROUNDABOUT GREEN TENT WITH PORTRAIT OF GADDAFI PORTRAIT OF GADDAFI WIDE OF AREA DESTROYED CARS MORE OF DESTROYED CAR MAN SHOWING A BOOK THAT WAS FOUND WITH THE DEAD BODIES CLAIMING THEY WERE INTO SOME SORT OF BLACK MAGIC OPEN AREA OPPOSITE GADDAFI'S COMPOUND IN FRONT OF WALL HIDING HUGE MILITARY HANGERS
- Embargoed: 10th September 2011 13:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflict
- Reuters ID: LVAL812EZBPQF0REAUZ88OIPQIL
- Story Text: More than 30 black men believed to be fighters loyal to Muammar Gaddafi have been killed at a military encampment in central Tripoli and at least two were bound with plastic handcuffs, indicating they had been executed.
A Reuters reporter at the scene in the Libyan capital said he counted 30 bodies riddled with bullets in an area where there had been fighting between Gaddafi forces and rebels.
Five of the dead were at a field hospital nearby, with one in an ambulance strapped to a gurney with an intravenous drip still in his arm.
Tents were strewn around the ground in front of a big tented area. Some of the tents contained medical equipment and some of the bodies inside were bandaged.
Seven bodies were also found piled into a waste land area nearby, their hands were tied.
Libyan rebels have accused Gaddafi of using mercenaries from African nations to hunt them down.
A major battle was fought between rebels and Gaddafi forces in this area the previous day as rebels pushed their way through the compound. Snipers in nearby buildings were met with anti-aircraft artillery and RPGs.
The forest to the east of the road backed onto the Rixos hotel where international journalists had been staying for several months. They were evacuated by the ICRC the previous day after a week of sniper fire and mortars landing all around them as rebels and Gaddafi loyalists fought pitch battles.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None