- Title: USA: Obama and McCain make the comic pages
- Date: 13th October 2008
- Summary: WRITER JEFF MARIOTTE SIGNING OBAMA COMIC BOOK (SOUNDBITE) (English) WRITER JEFF MARIOTTE SAYING: "Well I think Andy had an easier . . . er, harder job because he had many more years to fit in, but he had an easier job, because he had events that were innately more visual than I had."
- Embargoed: 28th October 2008 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz,Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVADXB6G9D1FPR78FGFZDPR953DI
- Story Text: The lives of presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama are now enshrined in the world of comics.
With less than a month before the election, the Presidential campaign moved in a new direction on Wednesday (October 8) as the biographies of John McCain and Barack Obama ventured into the world of comic books.
A day after the second presidential debate, IDW Publishing released the highly anticipated biographies, which have already become a collector's item among comic book aficionados.
Andy Helfer, who wrote the McCain comic, said comics were a great way of getting people to understand fairly complex issures more easily.
The comic biographies depict the lives of McCain and Obama from childhood to this year.
For Helfer, fitting the 72-years of John McCain's life into the standard format of a 28-page comic was not a simple task.
Jeff Mariotte, who wrote the script for the Obama comic, envied the material that Helfer had at his disposal, including McCain's military service.
Both authors poured over volumes of source material, from printed books, biographies and autobiographies of the candidates, to the voluminous media stories from the two-year-long presidential campaign.
Manager at Forbidden Planet Comics Books in New York, Jeff Ayers, said in a hundred years from now, the comic book of whoever wins the election will be preserved in the Smithsonian for history whereas the one for the loser will probably not. That's politics.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None