- Title: USA: Bride-to-be wins 25,000 dollars in cake-eating competition in New York City
- Date: 15th June 2007
- Summary: (L!) NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JUNE 12, 2007) (REUTERS) BRIDES STANDING UNDER MARQUEE FOR CAKE-EATING COMPETITION START OF COMPETITION VARIOUS OF BRIDES EATING CAKE END OF COMPETITION PEOPLE WATCHING STEPHANIE FLORIO, CAKE-EATING COMPETITION WINNER, STANDING WITH CHECK FOR 25,000 U.S. DOLLARS
- Embargoed: 30th June 2007 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA17PBKHRK5LIQBCVNXILYCPEAI
- Story Text: Fifteen U.S. brides-to-be swallow handfuls of cake in a race to win 25,000 U.S. dollars towards their dream wedding.
The new trend in weddings this summer is sticky. At least that's how 15 brides-to-be ended up on Tuesday (June 12) after taking part in a cake-eating competition in New York City. Dressed in bridal gowns, the women shovelled miniature cakes down their throats in a race for 25,000 U.S. dollars.
The competitive-eating brides had two minutes to eat as many cakes as they could. While some struggled to merely eat a few, Stephanie Florio moved ahead of the pack and won the race with 9 cakes down.
"There was no strategy. I just ate as many as I could," Florio said.
The competition was a publicity event for We Television Network's show "Bridezillas," which follows brides and their struggles to have the perfect wedding.
"Bridezilla Florio" said she will use the cash pot towards her upcoming nuptials.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.