- Title: LIBYA: Demolition of ousted leader Muammar Gaddafi's Tripoli home begins
- Date: 17th October 2011
- Summary: TRIPOLI, LIBYA (OCTOBER 16, 2011) (REUTERS) WIDE OF COMPOUND EXCAVATOR PUNCHING HOLE IN WALL GUNMEN CHANTING VARIOUS OF EXCAVATOR DEMOLISHING WALL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GUNMAN, ETMAN LELKTAH, SAYING: "The union of Libya's rebels called for the first step in demolition of this wall that represents a symbol of the tyrant's rule." MILITIA MAN HOLDING INDEPENDENCE FLAG UP (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GUNMAN, ETMAN LELKTAH, SAYING: "Anything related to Gaddafi in Libya will be destroyed by the rebels. The true rebels." EXCAVATOR PUSHING OVER CONCRETE BLOCKS VARIOUS OF EXCAVATOR DEMOLISHING WALL FIGHTER SITTING ON ANTI AIRCRAFT GUN
- Embargoed: 1st November 2011 12:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflict,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA2XZT9YWS076FDSGGE20NTH8X8
- Story Text: Two excavators guarded by armed men started to demolish the walls around ousted leader Muammar Gaddafi's former home in the Libyan capital Tripoli on Sunday (October 16).
As the heavy equipment set to work on the Bab al-Azizyah compound, men chanted, "God is greatest. This is for the blood of the martyrs." Some fired machine guns into the air.
"The union of Libya's rebels called for the first step in demolition of this wall that represents a symbol of the tyrant's rule," said Etman Lelktah, who said he was in charge of the fighters at the scene.
"Anything related to Gaddafi in Libya will be destroyed by the rebels. The true rebels," added Lelktah.
The heavily fortified compound, six sq-km (2.3 sq mi), was both the seat of Gaddafi's power and his Tripoli home.
It was targeted by NATO warplanes several times before Tripoli fell to the now ruling National Transitional Council in August.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None