- Title: UKRAINE: ARTISTS AND FANS GEAR UP FOR THE 50TH EUROVISION SONG CONTEST
- Date: 22nd May 2005
- Summary: (EU) KIEV, UKRAINE (MAY 21, 2005) (REUTERS) 1. TOP SHOT OF INDEPENDENCE SQUARE IN CENTRAL KIEV 0.04 2. MV GIRL HOLDING EUROVISION SCARF 0.10 3. SLV CROWDS IN CENTRAL STREET 0.15 4. SCU GIRLS WEARING EUROVISION T-SHIRT 0.22 5. (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) STUDENT OLGA SAYING: "I want to see a big, big show. It is the 50th eurovision, it could be a once-in-a- life-time event and especially as it is the first time in Ukraine and it will probably not be soon again. I am very excited and it is my first time in Kiev. I am super happy." 0.39 6. MV MAN WALKING WITH CHILD ON SHOULDERS, CHILD WAVING ORANGE FLAG 0.45 7. SLV STAGE AND VIDEO SCREENS IN INDEPENDENCE SQUARE 0.50 8. VIDEO SCREEN SHOWING CLIP ON KIEV AND WELCOMING PEOPLE TO UKRAINE 0.55 9. (SOUNDBITE) (English) HASSE GUSTAFSSON, 53-YEAR-OLD TECHNICIAN FROM SWEDEN SAYING: "It is a beautiful country, the people are friendly and we love the atmosphere here." 1.01 10. AV EUROVISION BALLOON IN THE AIR 1.07 11. WIDE SHOT OF THE SPORTS PALACE, THE VENUE FOR THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 1.13 12. SLV PEOPLE QUEUING OUTSIDE SPORTS PALACE 1.17 13. SLV SECURITY OUTSIDE VENUE 14. MORE SECURITY OUTSIDE VENUE, EUROVISION POSTERS IN BACKGROUND 1.25 15. MV UNITED KINGDOM'S ENTRANT JAVINE WITH BAND MEMBERS, WALKING UP STAIRS LEADING TO THE VENUE 16. JAVINE STOPPING TO POSE FOR PHOTOGRAPH PICTURE WITH SUPPORTER 17. JAVINE SIGNING AUTOGRAPH 1.45 18. (SOUNDBITE) (English) JAVINE HYLTON, UNITED KINGDOM ENTRANT TO EUROVISION SONG CONTEST, REPLYING TO QUESTION ABOUT REPORTS OF HER SUFFERING FROM A SORE THROAT, SAYING: "Yes, I will be fine, I'll be fine, I just need to hold back for tonight's performance, I think that is the main thing, just hold it, don't talk to much, keep my mouth shut and I'll be alright." 19. JAVINE AND BAND MEMBERS WALKING TOWARDS SECURITY CHECK 2.04 20. (SOUNDBITE) (English) HUNGARIAN SINGER PETER SZABO SZILVIA OF BAND NOX WALKING AND SAYING: "I am fine, yes, I feel very powerful. I hope, I would like to win, but." 2.23 21. MV GREEK SINGER HELENA PAPARIZOU WALKING UP 22. GREEK FANS SCREAMING 2.34 23. (SOUNDBITE) (English) GREEK SINGER HELENA PAPARIZOU SAYING: "I really wish and I really hope to see Eurovision in Greece, I want to, but the competition is going to be so hard, so I have to cross my fingers very hard tonight, very hard." 2.45 24. MORE MUSICIANS ARRIVING 2.49 25. GREEK SINGER HELENA PAPARIZOU SINGING A FEW LINES OF HER SONG "MY NUMBER ONE" 3.04 26. SLV ENTRANCE TO TENT CITY ON TRUKHANIV ISLAND IN THE MIDDLE OF DNIPRO RIVER IN KIEV CITY 3.09 27. BANNER SAYING EUROCAMP 3.13 28. ARMY TENTS ON CAMPSITE 3.20 29. SONG CONTEST SUPPORTERS SITTING OUTSIDE TENT 3.24 30. PEOPLE TALKING 31. MORE OF TENTS 3.33 32. SCHOOL CHILDREN FROM UKRAINIAN VILLAGE UNPACKING BAGS 33. GIRL IN TENT PUTTING MAKE UP ON 34. MORE GIRLS IN TENT 35. TEACHER AND STUDENTS IN TENT, TEACHER SAYING HELLO EUROVISION 3.54 36. MV SWEDISH TOURIST LEAVING TENT 37. BACKPACKERS WALKING BY TENT 38. ISRAELI SUPPORTER HOLDING ISRAELI FLAG 4.10 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 6th June 2005 13:00
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Reuters ID: LVA269D7WD2PKCS6IXKFHGG6167A
- Story Text: Artists and fans are gearing up for the 50th
Eurovision Song Contest finals.
The Ukrainian capital of Kiev is ready to host the 50th Eurovision
Song Contest, the annual battle between the best - and sometimes the worst -
More than a hundred thousand people are expected to pack Kiev's central
Independence Square on Saturday (May 21, 2005) to watch the finals, which begin at
1900gmt, from large video screens.
Kiev plays host to the annual Eurovision Song Contest after popstar
Ruslana stormed to victory last year in Istanbul.
Eager to move closer to Europe after last year's Orange Revolution,
this ex -soviet country sees the event as an opportunity to showcase itself to
By Saturday afternoon the main street in Kiev, closed to traffic, was
crowded with people making their way towards one of the biggest television
events in the world.
"I want to see a big, big show. It is the 50th Eurovision, it
could be a once-in-a- life-time event and especially as it is the first time
in Ukraine and it will probably not be soon again. I am very excited and it is
my first time in Kiev. I am super happy," said student Olga.
Entrants arrived at the Sports Palace, the venue for the Eurovision
Song Contest, to go through their paces in a last dress rehearsal ahead of the
United Kingdom's Javine who will sing "Touch my fire" has
been battling with a sore throat. However she has kept a positive outlook and
said she would be ready for her performance.
"Yes, I will be fine, I'll be fine, I just need to hold back for
tonight's performance, I think that is the main thing, just hold it, don't
talk to much, keep my mouth shut and I'll be alright," Javine said.
First to grace the Eurovision Song Contest stage in the finals is Nox
from Hungary with their song, "Spin the World".
Greece, competing for their first Eurovision victory, has been the
bookmakers' favourite to win over the past weeks.
"I really wish and I really hope to see Eurovision in Greece, I
want to, but the competition is going to be so hard, so I have to cross my
fingers very hard tonight, very hard," said Greek singer Helena
As the performers don their costumes and warm up their voices for the
evening's contest, many Eurovision fans will be getting ready for the big
night in the tent city set up along the banks of the Dnieper River.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None