- Title: U.K.: BRISK BIDDING AT CHRISTIE'S ART AUCTION ON EVE OF HARSH BUDGET.
- Date: 15th April 1975
- Summary: 1. GV EXT. Christie's Auction rooms. (MUTE) 0.10 2. GV INT. Bidding under way for Degas 'Apres Le Bain'. 0.18 3. CU Painting. 0.22 4. SV Auctioneer finalising bidding. 0.51 5. SV 'Fillette sur une Chaise Huguette' on display. 0.58 6. GV Auction in progress. 1.25 7. SV PAV Buyers. 1.30 8. SV AND GV Bidding ends and painting carried away. 1.49 Initials VS 21.55 VS 22.00 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 30th April 1975 13:00
- Location: LONDON, U.K.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVADN7Z7THEN2EL74NCZKDZ72YNW
- Story Text: There was brisk bidding at Christie's art auction in London on Tuesday (15 April) only hours before the British Chancellor, Mr. Healey, brought in his tough budget.
The auctioneers described it as a dealer's day.....top prices were paid for many works.
In all, 75 works by artists such as Renoir, Degas and Van Gogh were offered.
Two of the top prices of the day were paid for a work by Edgar Degas entitled 'Apres Le Bain', and for a work by Amedeo Modigliani entitled 'Fillette Sur Une Chaise Huguette'.
The Degas work brought 135,000 pounds sterling (325,000 U.S. dollars) and the Modigliani, 120,000 pounds sterling (290,000 U.S. dollars).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None