- Title: SPAIN: SPAIN'S NEWLY LEGALISED SOCIALIST PARTY BEGINS ELECTION CAMPAIGN.
- Date: 25th February 1977
- Summary: 1. SV Socialist newspaper on sale. 0.14 2. SV Party supporters handing out pamphlets (2 shots) 0.32 3. CU El Socialista paper. 0.37 4. CU ZOOM OUT GV - El Socialista on sale. 0.46 Initials VS 18.05 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 12th March 1977 12:00
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Reuters ID: LVA1CDQT1RCN2I4A5C1G39KS0ECE
- Story Text: INTRODUCTION: Spain's main Socialist party, the Partido Socialista Obrero Espanol (PSOE), which was only legalised last week, has already begun campaigning for the coming general Elections. The PSOE received full legal status after four decades of underground operation.
SYNOPSIS: Party members have been campaigning in Madrid this week selling Socialist newspapers and passing out pamphlets to gain support. The party had been illegal since the end of the 1936-1939 civil war. it has operated openly however, for the past year holding a congress in Madrid last December. The PSOE, led by lawyer Felipe Gonzalez, formally applied for registration as a political party on February 10 after rules for the legalisation of political parties were eased.
The small Marxist Popular Socialist Party (PSP) was also legalised. On Friday (25 February) the mainstream PSOE called the government's decision to recognise the splinter group "a declaration of war" and has withdrawn from talks with Prime Minster Adofo Suarez.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None