- Title: FRANCE: KARL LAGERFELD UNVEILS CHANEL COLLECTION
- Date: 21st January 1997
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JANUARY 21, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV EXTERIOR BUILDING 0.05 2. SV MODEL AT CHANEL FASHION SHOW WEARING BLACK SUIT AND WHITE TOP 0.18 3. MV MODELS IN BLACK TROUSERS AND PALE TOPS 0.38 4. SCU MODEL IN SUIT AND HAT 0.55 5. SCU MODELS IN SUITS WITH REVEALING TOPS 1.14 6. SV MODEL IN BLACK/BLUE DRESS 1.22 7. SCU DESIGNER KARL LAGERFELD GATHERED WITH MODELS FOR PHOTOCALL 1.31 8. SLV MEDIA 1.33 9. SCU DESIGNER KARL LAGERFELD SAYING "I WANTED THE COLLECTION TO BE LIGHT, IMPALPABLE, WITHOUT WEIGHTINESS. I RESPECTED THE IDENTITY OF CHANEL, BUT I TOOK OUT THE CHAINS, THE JACKETS ARE WITH TRANSPARENT TROUSERS AND BOATERS ARE WIDER, EVERYTHING WAS DONE IN THE 90'S WAY IN RESPECTING THE IDENTITY (FRENCH) 1.57 10. SCU SUPERMODEL KRISTEN MCMENAMY SAYING THIS IS THE SHOW THIS IS HAUTE COUTURE. IT IS LIKE CLASSICAL MUSIC. THIS WAS THE SHOW (ENGLISH) 2.20 11. SLV MODELS ON CATWALK (2 SHOTS) 2.53 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 5th February 1997 12:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA95P7ILBCG4HUZBPLMDX70NTI8
- Story Text: - INTRO: Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld has unveiled his ultra-refined, ultra-expensive couture collection for Chanel in Paris. It features mid-calf hemlines and skinny jackets with real diamond buttons costing 15,000 United States (U.S.) dollars each.
Karl Lagerfeld returned to the soul of Coco Chanel by staging his show in the intimate surroundings of a suite of rooms at the Hotel Ritz in Paris on Tuesday (January 21).
Supermodels Kristen McMenamy and Carla Bruni, among others, wore long transparent golden dresses or black tailored suits with large and transparent trousers.
Lagerfeld kept colour to a minimum in order to express refinement. In an interview, he said he wanted the collection to be very light and without weightiness.
"I respected the identity of Chanel, but I took out the chains," the designer told journalists.
"The jackets are with transparent trousers and the boaters are wider; everything was done in the 90s way of repecting the identity (of Chanel)," he said.
Model Kristen McMenamy said that Chanel represented the epitome of haute couture.
"It is like classical music," she said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None