- Title: ITALY: GIANNI VERSACE AUTUMN /WINTER COLLECTION IN MILAN
- Date: 8th March 1997
- Summary: MILAN, ITALY (MARCH 8, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLVOF GIANNI VERSACE SHOW WITH NAOMI CAMPBELL/GIANNI VERSACE APPLAUDED AT END (6 SHOTS) 1.14 2. SLV EXT OF CAFFE ATLANTIC NIGHTCLUB IN MILAN 1.19 3. GV'S OF NIGHTCLUB INTERIOR OF PARTY (2 SHOTS) 1.32 4. SV ACTOR HUGH GRANT AND MODEL ELIZABETH HURLEY 1.44 5. SV EVA HERZIGOVA AND HUSBAND TICO TORRES (THE DRUMMER FOR BON JOVI) 2.04 MILAN, ITALY (MARCH 9, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 6. SLV OF ARMANI SHOW (6 SHOTS) 2.43 8. SV ARMANI TAKES A BOW 2.49 Initials S3/2 P3/2 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 23rd March 1997 12:00
- Location: MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVAEYR56213DO0H6K0K58QX9Z368
- Story Text: INTRO: Top Italian designer Gianni Versace's autumn/winter collection was presented in Milan on Sunday (March 9).
Versace, parading his 1997/98 ready-to-wear collection on the penultimate day of the Milan shows, rolled out a glittering and glamorous set of evening wear, mini skirts and clothes with shoulder pad features.
Sparkling, square-necked bikini-style tops in two tones were worn with matching straight mini skirts.
High-waisted day and evening mini-dresses, some strapless, some with a tiny, filmy jacket at the chest were worn over knee-high boots with stiletto heels.
Short black skirts had panels cut out to reveal a flash of flesh just below the waistband or on the hip bone.
Colours were characteristically bold, with limes, lacquer red and turquoise or intenser burgundies, dark greens and black.
In the evening Gianni Versace hosted a star-studded party at a Milan nightclub. Guests included an immaculately made up singer Boy George, who acted as the party disc jockey, actor Hugh Grant accompanied by model Elizabeth Hurley, model Eva Herzigova with her husband Tico Torres, who is the the drummer for Bon Jovi and film star Jean Claude Van Damme.
Top Italian designer Giorgio Armani unveiled a dazzling display of sequin embroidered evening gowns as the closing flourish to Milan's autumn/winter 1997/98 fashion shows on Sunday (March 9).
Armani's top line ready-to-wear designs included dense jet beading, heavy encrusting of silver sequins, sparkling lace and crystal borders on lightweight chiffon and fluid black velvet.
"The silhouette, the style, the desire for refinement all become even more pronounced in the long evening dresses where embroidery and discreet transparencies represent the striking feature of the season," Armani said.
Evening dresses were long, with one designed with a jet beaded halterneck over a full-length velvet skirt. Full or calf length skirts were also worn over sheer, loose-cut flimsy pants.
Velvet played a key role, with black horizontal panels alternating with black transparent panels for trousers, tops and dresses or left solid to play against crystal sequinning.
It also played a part for daywear, with gold flowering printed on the sleek finish for a jacket, velvet wraps with fine, floor length fringes, or narrow-ribbed black velvet with a blue sheen to it used for a long jacket
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None