- Title: LIBYA: Seriously wounded victims arrive at Misrata hospital
- Date: 22nd April 2011
- Summary: MEDICS ATTEMPT TO REVIVE MAN HEART MONITOR SCREEN MEDICS CONTINUE ATTEMPTS TO REVIVE MAN
- Embargoed: 7th May 2011 13:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: War / Fighting
- Reuters ID: LVA77OB5SLMQE2CBI4I0ZS09KFB3
- Story Text: Seriously wounded people arrive at a hospital in Misrata, including a rebel who has an open heart surgery to save his life.
Libyan government troops overnight pounded the rebel-held city of Misrata, where hundreds have died during the siege that began with pro-democracy protests Seriously wounded people were rushed to a hospital in city on Thursday (April 21). One victims was a rebel who received life saving open heart surgery.
"We started to do ABCs with the medical team but we didn't manage to succeed to make the heart beat again, so we tried all the steps we know in medical emergencies. Finally we realised we had to open the chest and try to be in touch with the heart directly even with open air. So thank God, because we did manage to give him adrenaline and clean the bleeding and we did manage to make the heart beat again," said Doctor Hakim Zaggut.
After the revolutions in Egypt and Tunisia, Western leaders had hoped Gaddafi would similarly be ousted in a relatively short time, especially after NATO air strikes, but the Libyan leader has stubbornly persisted.
Pro Gaddafi forces on Thursday appeared undeterred by Western threats to step up military action.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None