- Title: LIBYA: Doctors tend to wounded in besieged city of Misrata
- Date: 23rd April 2011
- Summary: MISRATA, LIBYA (APRIL 22, 2011) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DOCTORS AND VOLUNTEERS PRAYING AT MISRATA HOSPITAL SOUNDBITE (English) DOCTOR MAHMOUD AMER, SAYING: "We are looking for no more bleeding, from both sides because both are Libyans, so we should stop this war, ok. And we know that Libya is for all and we are not looking for any division, or any more fighting. We are starting here not for fighting." DOCTORS AND VOLUNTEERS LEAVE PRAYING AREA SOUNDBITE (Arabic) KHALED SALEM, LIBYAN RED CRESCENT VOLUNTEER, SAYING: "This is a normal prayer. We are asking God to help us win soon." DOCTORS AND VOLUNTEERS LEAVING PRAYER TENT ARMED GUARD OUTSIDE HOSPITAL SIGN AT HOSPITAL ENTRANCE ARMED GUARD STOPPING VEHICLES ENTERING HOSPITAL DOCTOR, PATIENT, GUARD AND ONLOOKERS OUTSIDE HOSPITAL INJURED PATIENT ON TROLLEY BED VARIOUS OF A BLOODIED ANKLE VARIOUS OF MAN WITH BLOODY LEG BEING TREATED BY DOCTORS SOUNDBITE (English) UNNAMED DOCTOR, SAYING: "The patient has a gunshot in the back of his knees, his pulse is weak, he's feeling numbness in his toes. We suspect that he may have vascular injury in his lower limb, so we will see the next days and check." VARIOUS OF PATIENT BEING TREATED BY DOCTORS
- Embargoed: 8th May 2011 13:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: War / Fighting,Health
- Reuters ID: LVA7NDEU9ZJGCYTLIQBUE4SS07PC
- Story Text: Doctors address the influx of casualties to Misrata's hospitals as fighting rages on in the only rebel-held city in western Libya.
Doctors and volunteers gathered to pray for no more blood on Friday (April 22) at Misrata Hospital.
"We are looking for no more bleeding, from both sides because both are Libyans, so we should stop this war," said Doctor Mahmoud Amer.
Hundreds of fighters and civilians have died in Misrata during the siege. Misrata, the only rebel-held city in western Libya, has been heavily pounded by forces loyal to Muammare Gaddafi.
Rebel fighters voiced frustration with an international military operation they see as too cautious.
Food and medicine are running out and there are queues for petrol.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None