- Title: UK: QANTAS BOEING 707 PREVIEW FLIGHT OVER LONDON.
- Date: 7th August 1959
- Summary: 1. LV Plane on tarmac, at London Airport. 0.04 2. CU "707" on fuselage. 0.07 3. LV Passengers boarding plane. 0.10 4. SV Ditto. 0.14 5. SV Undercarriage and wheels. 0.18 6. CU Ditto. 0.21 7. GV Plane readied for take off. 0.25 8. LV Ditto. 0.29 9. SV Ditto. 0.33 10. GV Plane taxis round for take off. 1.00 11. AIR SHOT..Takes off. 1.05 12. SV Pilots cockpit. 1.09 13. AIR SHOT.. Planes engines. 1.13 14. SV Interior of galley. 1.18 15. LV Steward was serving drinks etc., to passengers. 1.24 16. SCU Ditto. 1.29 17. LV Ditto. stewardess looks at camera. 1.32 18. FULL CU..Ditto. 1.35 19. LONG SHOT..Passengers with attendants. 1.43 20. AIR SHOT..Planes engines. 1.47 21. SV Opening and closing bulkhead door. 1.57 22. AIR SHOT..Wing and clouds below. 2.02 23. SV Pilots in cockpit. 2.05 24. CU Dials. 2.09 25. CU Pilot talking to small mike. 2.12 26. AIR SHOT..Plane and wing landing at London Airport. 2.18 27. PAN SHOT..Passengers. 2.22 Initials ANH/AB/CW/PB Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA7US2GU4A0DFDUIUK3KMKHLNT8
- Location: LONDON AIRPORT, LONDON, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:02:23
- Topics: General,Transport
- Story Text: A Boeing 707 job airliner, recently delivered to the Qantas Empire Airways became the first jet of its make to fly into London Airport August 6 sporting Australian colours.
The jet - named "City of Brisbane" - is the first 707 to be delivered to a non-American airline. After demonstration flights from London, the Boeing left Aug 7 bound for Sydney. During the flight, demonstrations were given.
With seating accommodation for 120 passengers, the Boeing incorporates light decor - relaxing for travellers at high altitudes. Overall effect is one of speciousness and cool elegance, with Australian wild-flower designs on the wall panels.
New aids to flying include a radar "nose" on the forefront of the fuselage which detects weather disturbance miles ahead - and an "antenna" on the tail tip for high-frequency radio communication. Principal measurements of the luxury plane: wing span - 130ft 10 ins and body length - 128ft 10 ins. Normal cruising altitude ranges from 30,000 to 38,000 feet at an average speed of 550 m.p.h.
The Boeing flies almost twice as fast as most piston-driven airliners. Qantas hope to reduce flying time between London and Sydney to 25 hours, Sydney to San Francisco to 15 hrs and across the Atlantic from New York to London to eight hours.
Boeing Airplane Company, Seattle, USA, the makers, have sent modifications parts to strengthen the aircraft's landing gear to all airlines using the model - including Qantas. The action follows a mishap July 18 when a Pan American 707 made an emergency landing at New York after two wheels had broken off.
Early next month, Qantas plan to extend the Sydney-San Francisco route through London. In October they expect to introduce the 707 on the Kangaroo route between London-Sydney via the Middle East -- thus completing a pure jet-round-the-world service, pioneered in January 1958. Another route from London-Australia through Moscow is also being considered by the airline.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:22nd August 1959 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None