- Title: BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: IFOR TROOPS WILL ARREST BOSNIAN-SERB LEADERS FOR WAR CRIMES
- Date: 22nd January 1996
- Summary: PALE, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA (JANUARY 22, 1996) (AGENCY POOL - AVAILABLE ALL) 1. SV IMPLEMENTATION FORCE (IFOR) COMMANDER ADMIRAL LEIGHTON SMITH IN TV STUDIO SPEAKING ABOUT RELEASE OF PRISONERS OF WAR IMMEDIATELY, TRYING TO GET TRUST OF SERBS IN SARAJEVO, AND ARRESTING WAR CRIMINALS (ENGLISH) 1.33 2. SV SMITH GETS INTO ARMOURED VEHICLE AND DRIVEN OFF 2.00 SEQUENCE 1 TRANSCRIPT: SMITH:"I THINK THAT IS A MAJOR PART OF THE DEAL. I THINK THAT IF THEY DON'T RELEASE THESE PRISONERS WE HAVE THE POTENTIAL OF HAVING THIS PEACE AGREEMENT ... WE HAVE ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS RELATED WITH IT. I FIRMLY BELIEVE THIS IS AN UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE. THEY ARE TO BE RELEASED RIGHT NOW. I HAVE FORCES AVAILABLE TO HELP FACILITATE THAT RELEASE. I AM WORKING WITH THE ICRC. CALL ME. WE WILL GO PICK THEM UP IF WE HAVE TO. RELEASE THE PRISONERS NOW. I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO INCLUDE TRAVEL THROUGH THAT PART OF SARAJEVO; APPEAR ON TELEVISION, BOTH BOSNIAN AND SERB TELEVISION, WE HAVE PUT OUT NEWSPAPERS, WE HAVE PUT OUT LEAFLETS, WE HAVE PUT OUT OUR OWN RADIO BROADCAST, OUR FRENCH FORCES ARE THERE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO OTHER THAN TO TELL YOU, "TRUST US. WE ARE HERE TO HELP IMPLEMENT A PEACE PROCESS WHICH I BELIEVE THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY WANT". INDICTED WAR CRIMINALS COME IN CONTACT WITH OUR FORCES DURING THE COURSE OF OUR NORMAL DUTIES OUR RESPONSIBILITY IS TO DETAIN THEM AND TURN THEM OVER TO THE APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES AND THAT'S WHAT WE WILL DO." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVACZJQSPA6WJDJ3F1Z2A9ZMWX4A
- Location: PALE, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- Duration: 00:02:02
- Story Text: IFOR Commander Admiral Leighton Smith on Monday (January 22) confirmed that Implementation Force (IFOR) troops would arrest Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and military leader Ratko Mladic if they came into contact.
Speaking in the Bosnian Serb stronghold of Pale, Smith said that under the Dayton agreement, IFOR's mandate was to arrest convicted war criminals.
He also said the release of prisoners of war was a major part of the agreement. Smith said he was fully aware that many Serbs from Sarajevo did not trust IFOR.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th February 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None