YUGOSLAVIA: AROUND 1500 PEOPLE GATHER IN KIKINDA TO SUPPORT AN ANTI-GOVERNMENT RALLY ORGANISED BY "COALITION VOJVODINA"Record ID: 636626
- Title: YUGOSLAVIA: AROUND 1500 PEOPLE GATHER IN KIKINDA TO SUPPORT AN ANTI-GOVERNMENT RALLY ORGANISED BY "COALITION VOJVODINA"
- Date: 11th July 1999
- Summary: KIKINDA, YUGOSLAVIA (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. PAN SHOT FROM THE LOCAL CHURCH TO THE PEOPLE GATHERED TO SUPPORT THE RALLY, ORGANISED BY COALITION "VOJVODINA" 0.09 2. VARIOUS OF THE RALLY 0.14 3. SLV PEOPLE ON BALCONIES WATCHING THE RALLY 0.19 4. MV/SLV LEADERS OF THE COALITION "VOJVODINA" ON THE STAGE TOGETHER WITH MEMBERS OF THE ALLIANCE FOR CHANGE/ WIDE PAN OF CROWD (3 SHOTS) 0.48 5. SV SOUNDBITE (Serbian) NENAD CANAK, ONE OF THE LEADERS OF COALITION "VOJVODINA", SPEAKING SAYING: "Because of him we were bombed for 3 months. Then he signed something that he could sign before the bombing, and we would not have been bombed. And if we didn't have Milosevic, there would be nothing to sign." 1.18 6. VARIOUS OF RALLY (4 SHOTS) 1.46 7. SV FEW PEOPLE WHO CAME TO PROTEST AGAINT THE OPPOSITION AND SUPPORT PRESIDENT MILOSEVIC CHEERING :"SLOBO, SLOBO!" "GO AWAY AMERICAN BASTARDS!" 1.56 8. WS OF THE SCENE 2.02 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA1QPZG49KYQAHERH7GMOS6DOZ1
- Location: KIKINDA, YUGOSLAVIA
- Country: Yugoslavia
- Duration: 00:02:02
- Story Text: Around 1,500 people have gathered in a central square
in the town of Kikinda to support an anti-government rally
organised by "Coalition Vojvodina".
Protestors at the rally on Sunday (July 11) in Kikinda
near Yugoslavia's border with Romania shouted "Down
Milosevic!" and "Resign!".One placard held by a member of the
crowd read 'Long live Milosevic!' but had 'April Fool!'
emblazoned on the back.
"We are in jail with Slobo who is a war criminal," said
Nenad Canak, head of the league of Social Democrats of
Vojvodina, one of the leading opposition groups in the
He was referring to an indictment by the U.N.war crimes
tribunal against Milosevic last month for alleged crimes
against ethnic Albanians in Kosovo, Serbia's southern
Western leaders have said they will not give any
substantial help to repair damage done to Yugoslavia by NATO's
11-week bombing campaign over Kosovo while Milosevic is in
"Slobo must go!" Canak told the cheering demonstration,
one of a series planned across the country by opposition
parties trying to oust the Yugoslav leader in the wake of the
Canak said he had been in Vienna where he said he had met
people who had offered to come and help repair one of the
Danube bridges in Vojvodina's provincial capital Novi Sad
destroyed by NATO missles.They had been refused visas, he
"Milosevic says we have saved the country.What is saved?"
Canak said, pouring scorn on the official interpretation of
the settlement which stopped the bombing but effectively
handed control of Kosovo over to NATO peacekeeping troops.
Ten pensioners from Milosevic's Socialist Party gathered
near the rally with posters supporting the president but their
presence did not spark any tension because the other
demonstrators ignored them.
On Thursday, a local Socialist leader fired bullets in the
air at an opposition rally in Prokuplje, southern Serbia, and
scuffles broke out in the crowd between supporters and
opponents of Milosevic.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th July 1999 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None