- Title: LIBERIA: PRESIDENT TOLBERT ENDS OFFICIAL MOURNING PERIOD FOR WILLIAM TUBMAN
- Date: 1st September 1971
- Summary: 1. SV & CU Tolbert speaking (3 shots) 0.19 2. SV Guard of honour 0.22 3. SV Tolbert lights flame & lays wreath on Tubman memorial (3 shots) 0.53 Initials SGM/2250 SGM/2300 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAAKEVNBAB4EX3DLEPUR13549HW
- Location: Monrovia, Liberia
- Country: Liberia
- Duration: 00:00:53
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Story Text: Liberian President William Tolbert on Sunday (29 August) ended the official mourning period for President Tubman who died in July.
President Tolbert paid tribute to Mr Tubman before laying a wreath on his memorial and lighting an eternal flame.
SYNOPSIS: Liberia's new President, Mr. William Tolbert, ended the official mourning period for President Tubman during a quiet ceremony in Monrovia on Sunday. President Tolbert paid tribute to Mr. Tubman and expressed the country's sorrow at his death in July this year. He said that Africa had lost one of its important elder statesmen.
President Tolbert then lit an eternal flame over Mr. Tubman's memorial and laid a wreath in remembrance of the former President. Under the Liberian constitution, Mr Tolbert, then Vice-President, became President on the death of Mr Tubman. He will serve the remainder of President Tubman's term of office, which expires in January. President Tolbert leads the American-modelled party which has ruled the country for over a hundred years, and begins his own administration in a strong position.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:16th September 1971 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None