BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: ENVOYS HOLBROOKE AND BILDT ARRIVE IN SARAJEVO AS CROAT-SERB TALKS MAKE PROGRESSRecord ID: 636657
- Title: BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: ENVOYS HOLBROOKE AND BILDT ARRIVE IN SARAJEVO AS CROAT-SERB TALKS MAKE PROGRESS
- Date: 4th October 1995
- Summary: SARAJEVO, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA (OCTOBER 4, 1995) (AGENCY POOL -- ACCESS ALL) 1. SV CAR FLYING UNITED STATES (U.S.) FLAG DRIVING UP AT SARAJEVO AIRPORT 0.10 2. SV/LV UNITED STATES AIRCRAFT TAXIS ON RUNWAY, CARRYING 3. LV HOLBROOKE LEAVES AIRCRAFT AND WALKS ACROSS TARMAC IN CONVERSATION WITH COLLEAGUES / UN SOLDIERS (3 SHOTS) 0.39 4. SCU EUROPEAN UNION (EU) PEACE NEGOTIATOR CARL BILDT SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 0.52 5. SV UNITED NATIONS FORCES AND AIDES ON TARMAC 0.55 6. SCU BILDT SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 1.07 7. SV/LV HOLBROOKE AND AIDES WALK TO CAR AND DRIVE AWAY (3 SHOTS) 1.46 SEQUENCE 4 TRANSCRIPT: BILDT: "IT'S A STEP FORWARD, WE HAVEN''T SOLVED THE ISSUE YET. BUT I THINK A LOT OF DISCRETE AND SUCCESSFUL WORK, PRIMARILY BY MR STOLTENBERG, AND JOINED IN THE LAST FEW DAYS BY AMBASSADOR GALBRAITH, HAS PRODUCED A SIGNIFICANT STEP FORWARD." SEQUENCE 6 TRANSCRIPT: BILDT: "NOT NECESSARILY. IT'S AN EASTERN SLAVONIA AGREEMENT, THEN WE ARE WORKING ON THE BOSNIA AGREEMENT. HOPEFULLY THE TWO WILL CONVERGE." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVABC1RABJ07K8OK7F5E4NHCBZ1E
- Location: SARAJEVO, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- Duration: 00:01:47
- Story Text: Peace envoys flew to Sarajevo on Wednesday (October 4), chasing an elusive deal to end the Yugoslav wars as word came that Croatia had reached an agreement with rebel Serbs in its eastern Slavonia region United States (U.S.) mediator Richard Holbrooke arrived in the Bosnian capital, his efforts boosted by a breakthrough in Croat-Serb talks on Tuesday (October 3).
Holbrooke was accompanied by the European Union's (EU) peace negotiator, Carl Bildt.
The U.S.-led diplomacy is seeking an end to 42 months of Moslem-Serb-Croat war in Bosnia which has left thousands dead or missing and displaced millions from their homes.
Speaking to reporters at the airport, Bildt referred to the breakthrough in the eastern Slavonia region. He said a team was at work in Sarajevo in a bid to find a solution to the Bosnian situation, and expressed the hope that the two solutions will converge.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th October 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None