- Title: U.S.A.: POLICE LAY SIEGE TO BLACK PANTHER LEADERS' GHETTO IN NEW ORLEANS.
- Date: 20th November 1970
- Summary: NEW ORLEANS, USA (19 NOVEMBER 1970) (REUTERS) AV Siege at Panther house (2 shots) LV-GV House GV PAN Police armoured car passing. MV People looking out of windows. MV PAN Armoured car passes. GV/MV People outside house. (2 shots) SV Policeman talking to panthers over loudspeaker. GV PAN Crowds and police outside panther house. (1.10) RJ/DW/VC/1250 RJ/DW/VC/1304
- Reuters ID: LVA4ATKMCRMTL2DX5EWC1C1EDFTK
- Location: New Orleans, U.S.A.
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:11
- Topics: Crime,Politics
- Story Text: A fourteen year old boy was shot and a fire bomb thrown yesterday (Thursday) as police laid siege to a building occupied by New Orleans Black Panther leaders.
Police have given Black Panther lawyers 24 hours in which to seek an injunction to halt the arrest of the leaders.
The National Committee to Combat Fascism, has been occupying the apartment, the police say illegally, since October 25 when the Committee was ejected from its former headquarters. Yesterday more than 200 negroes stood between helmeted police and the barricaded apartment in an effort to stop the forced eviction of the leaders. Police moved about 100 officers into nearby buildings and ordered an evacuation of the area but the crowd refused to move. A police armoured car moved up and down the street warning the people to disperse but the only response it drew was a rock thrown by a youngster.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th December 1970 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None