EGYPT/ISRAEL: U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE, ALEXANDER HAIG, CONTINUES HIS MIDDLE EAST TOUR WITH VISITS TO CAIRO AND TEL AVIV.Record ID: 636701
- Title: EGYPT/ISRAEL: U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE, ALEXANDER HAIG, CONTINUES HIS MIDDLE EAST TOUR WITH VISITS TO CAIRO AND TEL AVIV.
- Date: 5th April 1981
- Summary: ***CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CAIRO, EGYPT Haig and Sadat meeting, shaking hands Haig and Sadat seated at conference table in talks TEL AVIV, ISRAEL Haig down aircraft steps Ben Gurion airport, making statement Haig speaking statement after talks, with Begin at this side, and dignitaries ranged behind
- Reuters ID: LVA5T6WUNPYBU3E73107IGSU7B3Z
- Location: Israel, Egypt
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:02:35
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Story Text: U.S. Secretary of state Haig assured Egyptian President Sadat that the Reagan administration was dedicated to continuing efforts to reach Middle East peace settlement. After two hour meeting the two men said they were optimistic about the future search for peace in the Middle East.
On the second stage of his 4 nation tour of the Middle East Haig went on to Israel. In a brief speech at Ben Gurion airport, he again stressed the security issue and said the aim of his consultations was discussion of the threat posed by the Soviet union and its surrogates. After a 2 hour meeting with prime minister Begin Haig emphasises he was visiting the Middle East as a fact-finder, to ascertain dangers facing the region; Begin said the subjects discussed included the Lebanon situation and the stalled negotiations on Palestinian autonomy in the West Ban and Gaza.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:20th April 1981 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None