- Title: UK: SPORT--AJAX AMSTERDAM WINS EUROPEAN CUP BEFORE HUGE CROWD.
- Date: 2nd June 1971
- Summary: 1. GV Dutch team Ajax (kicking right to left) kick off and mid field play 0.17 2. LV Ajax score from left wing cross 0.27 3. GV Ajax goalkeeper fumbles cross from free kick but regains possession 0.34 4. GV Crowd 0.35 5. LV Greek defender clears ball from goalmouth scramble after free kick 0.43 6. LV Players leave field at half time TILT UP TO crowd 0.48 7. LV Scoreboard shows Ajax I Panathinaikos O. 0.50 8. GV Panathinaikos kick off in second half & play in progress 1.01 9. GV Ajax launch attack but goalkeeper saves 1.17 10. SV Crowd 1.18 11. GV Midfield play 1.25 12. LV Ajax score second goal and teammates embrace scorer 1.31 13. LV Scoreboard 1.34 14. SV ZOOM BACK TO GV Fans invade pitch with fireworks and flags and embrace players (2 shots) 1.49 15. LV Ajax captain receives cup and holds it up for crowd 1.54 16. GV Crowd on pitch 2.00 Initials BB/0435 JB/BOB/BB/0503 SPORT: SOCCER EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THE USE OF THIS NEWS FILM IS RESTRICTED TO SCHEDULED NEWS BULLETINS ONLY. Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVADZD082845CKKO38QRUQ7LDHAZ
- Location: LONDON, U.K.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:02:02
- Story Text: The Dutch won the European Soccer cup at London's Wembley Stadium tonight (Wednesday, June the 2nd) before a crowd of 90,000 people. it was the second time in two years the cup had gone to Holland. Ajax Amsterdam proved too fast and strong for Panathinaikos of Athens, and won two goals to nil.
It was an exciting game with both sides showing a willingness to attack. But while the Dutch defence held firm the Greeks always looked suspect under pressure.
Ajax went ahead in the fourth minute and scored again three minutes before the end of the game.
Thousand of fans had flooded into London for the game and they kept up a deafening noise throughout the match.
SYNOPSIS: Holland and Greece played off for the European cup in London on Wednesday night. The Dutch team, Ajax Amsterdam, kicked off and are playing from right to left. The Greek side is Panathinaikos of Athens.
Ajax were the favourites. They went straight into the lead when Van Dijk scored in the fourth minute. The early goal rattled the Greek side and although they fought back hard they never managed to score. Ajax went on to win Two-nil. The game, at London' Wembley stadium was played before an enthusiastic crowd of 90,000.
Panathinaikos came back in the second half. It was fast, exciting football with both sides showing plenty of willingness to attack. But while the Dutch team was always solid in defence, Panathinaikos always looked suspect when they were under pressure.
Ajax put the result beyond doubt when they scored three minutes before the end of the game. The Ajax players were jubilant....
It was the second time in two years a Dutch side had won the cup and the Dutch fans demonstrated their joy at the result. Fireworks and rockets were set off as the crowd poured on to the ground. The cup, won last year by Feyenoor of Rotterdam is now in the custody of the Amsterdam team.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th June 1971 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None