- Title: PHILIPPINES: POPE PAUL MEETS POOR PEOPLE OF MANILA
- Date: 30th November 1970
- Summary: Papal motorcade arriving, Pope on to dais and being welcomes, Pope speaking and giving his blessing, Pope presented with portrait and Pope leaving. Initials jt/v/ac Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA59P7E63DE07JUYJ8W0AWNK7U5
- Location: MANILA
- Country: Philippines
- Duration: 00:02:09
- Story Text: Pope Paul yesterday (Sunday) completed his three-day visit to the Philippines by going to the notorious Tondo slum district of Manila.
Thousands of people who live in the teeming shantytown turned out to give an enthusiastic welcome to the Roman Catholic Pontiff who offered them his benediction.
A security force of 2,000 men had been assigned to the Tondo area which has a high rate of crime and violence. But there were no incidents. The police chief commented: 'The people in Tondo are tough but they turn soft in the face of someone like the Pope.'
The people presented the Pope with a painting depicting life in Tondo.
The Pope, who later left for Samoa and Australia, also met a slum family and toured a school.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:15th December 1970 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None