- Title: KHMER REPUBLIC: REINFORCEMENTS ARRIVE IN KOMPONG THMAR.
- Date: 7th September 1971
- Summary: 1. SV Front-line troops returning to camp at Kompong Thmar from night ambush (5 shots) 0.16 2. SV reinforcements arriving and stepping down from lorry 0.22 3. SV Families of soldiers down from lorry 0.29 4. SV Girl soldiers - one holding rocket-launcher 0.40 5. SV Boy soldiers stepping down from lorry and other boy soldier loaded with kit 0.51 6. GV PAN devastated area of Thmar 0.58 7. SV Man salvaging tin sheeting to rebuild market stall 1.02 8. SV Cat among ruins eating coconut 1.05 9. SV Tracking shot through devastated town of Prey Totung; troops & refugees along road (5 shots) 1.38 Initials OS/2323 SGM/1208 NOTE TO EDITORS: WE REFER YOU TO OUR PRODUCTION NUMBER 10298/71. "GOVERNMENT TROOPS RETAKE TOWN ON STRATEGIC HIGHWAY SIX", SHOWING THE OCCUPATION OF KOMPONG THMAR BY GOVERNMENT TROOPS LAST WEEK. IT WAS SERVICED FROM LONDON ON SEPTEMBER 5, 1971. Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA9GQIMLSINVEZAYKVDUMEUSQWO
- Location: KOMPONG THMAR AND PREY TOTUNG, KHMER REPUBLIC
- Country: Cambodia
- Duration: 00:01:37
- Story Text: Heavy reinforcements have been rushed to Kompong Thmar in the Khmer Republic to help in the drive towards the besieged northern provincial capital of Kompong Thom. So far, Government troops have only managed to advance as far as Kompong Thmar, which they captured from communist forces last week after heavy fighting. VISNEWS cameraman Neil Davis, who is with the Government troops, continues his coverage of the drive towards Kompong Thom with this film.
SYNOPSIS: Government troops in Khmer Republic continue their drive on besieged provincial capital of Kompong Thom. Here, after a night of ambush patrols, they return to base camp at Kompong Thmar -- which they captured from community forces last week after heavy fighting.
Meanwhile, reinforcements have been rush to Kompong Thmar to help in the drive against Kompong Thom, which is in the has of Government troops but entirely surrounded and besieged by communist form The drive to relieve the town will continue after the arrival here of all thee reinforcements -- who often bring their wives and families with them to help in the battle.
The drive on Kompong Thom has been tinge place along ??? the important Highway Six route to the north. Evidence of ??? opposition from communist forces is everywhere -- ruined and devastated villages; bombed bridges, and deserted towns. Kompong The is one example......
....and Prey Totung, which Government troops captured and passed through earlier in the drive, is another. So far, hundreds have been kill on both sides in the big push along Highway Six. Refugees have fled in the face of the fighting and the loss of the homes, but the Khmer Government says it's determined to relieve Kompong Thom The danger is, however, that its troops are concentrated in the front line -- leaving areas like this one unguarded, ??? an open target for communist force.s If they cut Highway Six in two, supply line to the front line could be in grave danger.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:22nd September 1971 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None