- Title: Italy: Moro
- Date: 17th April 1978
- Summary: exteriors of Communist party headquarters in Via delle Bottaghe Oscure interiors: courtyard: Berlinguer stepping out of his car to enter PCI headquarters Luigi Longo, communist party president getting out of car interiors: general views of hall, Sen. Bufalini of the Communist party central committee speaking about Moro Belinguer listening party members listening to Senator Bufalini Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVACGQ9H4J2U7FLR1CN8OVKLSVPG
- Location: Rome
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:03:04
- Story Text: The leadership of the Italian communist party met this morning to discuss what stand to take on the latest Red Brigades Communique which issued a death sentence for Aldo Moro, president of the Christian Democrat Party. The Christian democrats met yesterday and reconfirmed their intention not to make any "deals" with the Red Brigades. They launched an appeal to the Kidnappers to spare Moro on "humanitarian" grounds.
President Giovanni Leone, in a letter written to Mrs. Moro, urged the Brigades not to assassinate Moro because his death "would serve no purpose".
The Communist party central committee met this morning to renew its solidarity with the Christian democrat party decision not to make any bargains with the terrorists. The christian democrats had openly urged other parties to stand behind their decision and to offer their support. Both the Socialists and the Communists yesterday reaffirmed their tough stand against terrorist blackmail. The feeling in political circles is that by coming to terms with the Red Brigades the state would expose further actions of the sort carried out by the extremists on March 16th and would weaken its position. Meantime, as politicians discussed the stands to adopt in the light of the latest developments, police continued their search for the terrorist hideout.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:2nd May 1978 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None