ALGERIA: AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGIST, DR. TIMOTHY LEARY, GRANTED POLITICAL ASYLUM IN ALGERIA.Record ID: 636758
- Title: ALGERIA: AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGIST, DR. TIMOTHY LEARY, GRANTED POLITICAL ASYLUM IN ALGERIA.
- Date: 24th October 1970
- Summary: ALGIERS, ALGERIA ( 23 OCTOBER 1970) (REUTERS - LOUIS GIMENEZ) SV Black Panther supporters SV Cleaver PAN TO supporters CU Girl SV Leary arrives SV Leary interviewed SV PAN Cleaver and Leary walk to air terminal (2 shots) TRANSCRIPTS: (SEQ 5): INTERVIEWER: "They'll come over when you have a place for them, I expect, you don't know?" LEARY: "They're tilling their ground and married and doing their bit for the revolution in the other land." INTERVIEWER: "Good. Good, and what are you planning to do in Algiers?" LEARY: "We plan to help Eldridge Cleaver and the Black Panther Party, and do everything we can to free our country." INTERVIEWER: "You asked for asylum. Was it granted?" LEARY: "Yes, it was." CP/PN/BB/0410 CP/PN/BB/0425
- Reuters ID: LVA14JNR65RBDBNH82K35KMKRXIN
- Location: ALGIERS, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Duration: 00:01:10
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Story Text: Dr. Timothy Leary, the American "hippy" psychologist who escaped from a California jail on September 12, has been granted political asylum in Algeria. The 50-year-old doctor, whose arrival in Algiers with his wife, was announced two days ago, left tonight (Saturday) to visit Palestinian guerrilla bases in the Middle East.
Leary told reporters at the airport he planned to return to Algiers to work with Black Panther leader, Eldridge cleaver. He then boarding an aircraft, bound for Cairo, at the head of a four-member delegation representing American militant left wing movements.
The delegation includes Miss Jennifer Dhorn, whose sister Bernardine belongs to the Weathermen group, an extremist section of the Students for Democratic society. She denied earlier reports that her sister, who is on the list of ten people most wanted by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation, was in Algiers.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th November 1970 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None