SPAIN: FRENCH AND GERMAN LEADERS REAFFIRM THEIR SUPPORT FOR SPAIN'S FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISMRecord ID: 636764
- Title: SPAIN: FRENCH AND GERMAN LEADERS REAFFIRM THEIR SUPPORT FOR SPAIN'S FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM
- Date: 2nd December 1999
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (DECEMBER 2, 1999) (REUTERS) 1. MV GERMAN CHANCELLOR GERHARD SCHROEDER ARRIVES AT MONCLOA PRESIDENTIAL PALACE WALKING WITH SPANISH P.M. JOSE-MARIA AZNAR 0.06 2. CU CUTAWAY CAMERA OPERATOR 0.09 3. MV SCHROEDER AND AZNAR SHAKE HANDS AT PALACE ENTRANCE 0.27 4. MV SCROEDER, AZNAR AND FRENH PRIME MINISTER LIONEL JOSPIN SHAKING HANDS 0.55 5. VARIOUS SCHROEDER, JOSPIN AND AZNAR LOOK ON AS PRESIDENTS OF CASA, DAIMLER-CHRYSLER DASA AND MATRA SIGN AGREEMENT (6 SHOTS) 1.23 6. MV LEADERS AT PHOTOCALL/SCU PHOTOGRAPHER (2 SHOTS) 1.36 7. SV (SOUNDBITE) (French) LIONEL JOSPIN SAYING "I'd like to take this opportunity to say now that in this difficult moment for Spain, and I repeat this forcefully, that the French governent will work in solidarity with the Spanish. We will be at their side and will have our full cooperation in this matter. And I want to add as well that French people will always support the Spanish people." 2.12 8. MV/SV (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR GHERARD SCHROEDER: "I also want the Spanish people to know that Spain has many friends in Europe to help them fight against terrorism and Germany and its people form part of this group." (2 SHOTS) 3.02 9. PAN AZNAR, JOSPIN AND SCHROEDER LEAVING 3.10 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA824WSSY4P0WLYP5PDZR5YS4EL
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:03:11
- Story Text: Spanish, French and German heads of state and
business leaders have met in Madrid to sign an agreement that
will create a powerful alliance among the leading companies in
the European aeronautics industry.
During the signing, German Chancellor Gerhard
Schroeder and French Prime Minister Lionel Jospin declared
their support for the Spanish government regarding the end of
the cease-fire called by Basque terrorist group ETA.
Spanish planemaker Casa on Thursday (December 2) agreed to
join Europe's largest aerospace firm EADS, strengthening the
merger of DaimlerChyrsler's Dasa and France's Aerospatiale
Underlining the importance they attach to this
consolidation of Europe's aerospace industry, the heads of
government of France and Germany flew to Madrid to welcome
Casa into EADS at a joint ceremony with their Spanish
counterpart Jose Maria Aznar.
The expanded group will have an 80 percent interest in
civil planemaker Airbus Industries and a 44 percent stake in
the Eurofighter military aircraft project.
French Prime Minister Lionel Jospin and German Chancellor
Gerhard Schroeder met Aznar at the formal signing of the deal.
State holding company Sepi will hold 6.25 percent of EADS
(European Aeronautic, Defence & Space Co), which is due to be
formed by the first quarter of 2000 by the merger of Dasa and
Casa is tiny compared with the Franco-German group -- it
is valued at about 1 billion USD versus 16 billion USD for the
rest of EADS -- but it brings a dowry of key partnerships to
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th December 1999 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None