RUSSIA: RUSSIAN FORCES ONCE AGAIN POUND GROZNY AND NEIGHBOURING TOWNS OF GEKHI AND URUS-MARTANRecord ID: 636774
- Title: RUSSIA: RUSSIAN FORCES ONCE AGAIN POUND GROZNY AND NEIGHBOURING TOWNS OF GEKHI AND URUS-MARTAN
- Date: 19th November 1999
- Summary: GROZNY, CHECHNYA, RUSSIA (NOVEMBER 19, 1999) (REUTERS) 1. SLV: AFTERMATH OF THE BOMBING IN GROZNY 0.08 2. VARIOUS: VARIOUS BUILDINGS ON FIRE (4 SHOTS) 0.28 URUS-MARTAN, CHECHNYA, RUSSIA (NOVEMBER 19, 1999) (REUTERS) 3. LAS: RUSSIAN PLANE IN THE AIR 0.44 4. MLV/SV'S: VIEW OF THE RUINED VILLAGE/ TURKEYS IN THE SHELLED YARD (3 SHOTS) 1.06 5. MLV: VILLAGER RENAT MUSAYEV SHOWING MISSILE THAT FELL NEAR HIS HOUSE 1.14 6. SV: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) VILLAGER RENAT MUSSAYEV SAYING "I'm a peaceful villager of Gekhi. The missile exploded near my house killing and wounding several people. They want to destroy us as if we're the bandits." 1.29 7. SV: DEAD COW UNDER THE RUBBLE 1.34 8. SV/GV/SV: PARTS OF THE MISSILE LYING IN YARD/DAMAGED BUILDING (3 SHOTS) 2.00 9. SCU: WOUNDED CALF 2.10 10. MLV: DEBRIS LYING IN YARD 2.15 GEKHI, CHECHNYA, RUSSIA (NOVEMBER 19, 1999) (REUTERS) 11. MV: RESIDENTS HIDING IN BASEMENT 2.24 12. MV/SV: WOMEN AND CHILDREN INSIDE CELLAR (2 SHOTS) 2.40 13. SV: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RESIDENT RAISA KAKAYEVA SAYING "Those who could leave, who had connections, have already left. We have nowhere to go and we don't want to leave our land." 2.53 14. MV: WOMEN SITTING 2.59 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA10ZX6J55414VHRX4JFB7F56EV
- Location: GROZNY, GEKHI AND URUS-MARTAN, CHECHNYA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:03:05
- Story Text: Russian forces have once again pounded Grozny and
neighbouring towns of Gekhi and Urus-Martan.Russian troops
now control routes to Grozny from the west and north.
Eight weeks into their offensive in Chechnya, Russian
troops are moving through villages and towns in the separatist
region, closing in on the capital Grozny.
Several houses in the city and nearby villages sustained
considerable damage from rockets and shells.
Smashed beams protruded through shattered roofs and rooms
were covered in broken glass and wrecked furniture.Jets
roared overhead, gunfire crackled at irregular intervals and
plumes of smoke rose in the distance.
In the village of Gekhi residents showed parts of
missiles that ruined several houses and killed cattle.Renat
Musayev, a resident of Gekhi, said the missile exploded right
near his home, wounding several people.
"They want to destroy us as if we're the bandits," said
Musayev.Residents of the rebel-held town of Urus-Martan, 15
km (nine miles) northwest of Grozny, collected the bodies of
men in civilian clothes at the weekend from roadsides and
Many Urua-Martan residents collected their belongings
and left the town.Others, especially women and children, hid
from air attacks in the basements."We have nowhere to go and
we don't want to leave our land," said resident Raisa Kakayeva.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:4th December 1999 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None