HONGKONG: U.S. GOLFER JUDY RANKIN WINS HONG KONG OPEN WOMEN'S INVITATION TOURNAMENT.Record ID: 636782
- Title: HONGKONG: U.S. GOLFER JUDY RANKIN WINS HONG KONG OPEN WOMEN'S INVITATION TOURNAMENT.
- Date: 22nd November 1976
- Summary: 1. GV Jan Stephenson teeing off. 0.11 2. SV: crowd 0.13 3. SV:Jan Stephenson sinking putt 0.21 4. GV: Chako Higuchi teeing off. 0.29 5. SV: crowd walking to next hole. 0.32 6. SV: Chako Higuchi putting 0.45 7. SV: Sandra Post sinking putt. 0.58 8. GV: crowd 1.01 9. SV: Judy Rankin lining up and sinking putt on 18th hole. 1.33 Initials RH/GB/PNG/1625 SPORT - GOLF Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAA2ZY9PVTLZWGNWDWXHSLO253Q
- Location: HONG KONG.
- Country: Hong Kong
- Duration: 00:01:33
- Story Text: U.S. golfer Judy Rankin fired a last round 73 for a three round total of 216 to win the 10,000 dollars (U.S.) first prize in the Hong Kong Open Women's Invitation tournament on Saturday (20 November). Mrs. Rankin finished with a three stroke lead over Japan's Chako Higuchi, with Jo-Anne Carner a further two strokes away in third place.
SYNOPSIS: Australian golfer Jan Stephenson was only a stroke behind Mrs. Rankin going into the final 18 holes.
Miss. Stephenson scored even par 72 for her opening two rounds but lost form on the run home, carding an eight over 80 to give her a total of 224 and equal sixth place.
Chako Higuchi started with a 75, shot a one under par 71 in her second round and finished solidly with a 73 in her final round. The winner of this year's Colgate European Women's Championship, Miss. Higuchi played very consistent golf to take second place.
Canada's Sandra Post started the final round sharing the lead with Mrs. Rankin. But she putted badly and had an 81 putting her back to six place with Jan Stephenson.
For Mrs. Rankin, Saturday's win capped the most astonishing year women's golf has ever seen. Her first prize cheque is added to a season's prize earnings of 138,000 dollars (U.S.) -- making her the first women golfer to earn more than 100,000 in a year. The 31-year-old has won six tournaments so far this year and has jumped to second in the all time money winners list.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th December 1976 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None