- Title: WEST GERMANY: DAMAGED AIRLINER IN FIELD AFTER EMERGENCY LANDING
- Date: 10th February 1970
- Summary: 1. MV PAN..United Arab Airline aircraft TILT down to damaged wheel 0.13 2. MV Part of damaged wing 0.19 3. MV Part of under-carriage 0.22 4. MV Aircraft TILT down to damaged engines 0.27 5. SV Part of under-carriage 0.30 6. SV Damaged wing 0.33 7. CU Nose of aircraft 0.37 8. MV Damaged wing 0.44 Initials JB/VS/DW/ES Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAE5ERJSKTRECNA96Q3TF640L4B
- Location: MUNICH, WEST GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:00:44
- Story Text: A United Arab Airlines Comet jet airliner stands in a field near Munich airport after making a forced landing within moments of take-off. Reports said that fire broke out in one wing and the pilot landed the aircraft in the field some 400 yards (metres) from the end of the runway and 150 yards (metres) from suburban houses.
Police said that eight of the 14 passengers were slightly injured and four were taken to hospital. Others were treated at the scheme for shock.
Aircraft and police officials said they ruled out sabotage on the has as of early information they had received.
The four-engined aircraft had just taken off for Athens and Cairo after a two-hour delay, when it made the forced landing.
Slush conditions at the time were similar to those 12 years ago when a British airliner crashed on take-off from the same airport, killing 23 people including eight of the Manchester United soccer team.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th February 1970 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None