- Title: SWITZERLAND: TWENTY-FIVE NATION DISARMAMENT TALKS RESUME
- Date: 17th February 1970
- Summary: Palace of Nations; interior with U.S. delegate greeting others; various delegates. Initials JB/VS/AE/PC Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA4MZGIPSO6IL2H1HCG69YHIGSV
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Duration: 00:01:01
- Story Text: The twenty-five nation disarmament conference resumed today (Tuesday, February 17) in Geneva, Switzerland, after an adjournment of four months. The first speaker today was the chief negotiator for the United States, Mr. Gerard Smith.
Mr. Smith spoke hopefully of the strategic arms limitations talks between the United States and the Soviet Union. He said that when these talks resumed in Vienna in April he was hopeful that any progress made would lead to progress in arms control generally.
He said he did not want to sound too optimistic, but he hoped 1970 would produce concrete progress in what he termed "this urgent and vital matter".
The 26th seat at the conference table - that of France - was again empty today. France has taken no part in the proceedings since they began.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:4th March 1970 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None