WEST BANK/JERUSALEM: FIFTH DAY OF CLASHES BETWEEN PALESTINIAN PROTESTORS AND ISRAELI MILITARY AS ANOTHER CASUALTY OF THE VIOLENCE IS BURIEDRecord ID: 636797
- Title: WEST BANK/JERUSALEM: FIFTH DAY OF CLASHES BETWEEN PALESTINIAN PROTESTORS AND ISRAELI MILITARY AS ANOTHER CASUALTY OF THE VIOLENCE IS BURIED
- Date: 2nd October 2000
- Summary: HEBRON, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 2, 2000) (REUTERS) SLV , CROWD OF PALESTINIANS ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF HEBRON THROWING STONES AT ISRAELI SOLDIERS IN JEEPS SLV ISRAELI SOLDIERS FIRING FROM JEEPS WIDE OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS IN JEEPS FIRING AT ROADBLOCK SLV PALESTINIANS RUNNING WITH INJURED PROTESTER SLV PROTESTERS THROWING STONES SMV MASKED PALESTINIAN YOUTH THROWING STONES SMV ROCKS HITTING ISRAELI JEEPS IN ROAD SMV OLD PALESTINIAN THROWING STONE, GETTING HIT IN ARM SMV PALESTINIANS CARRYING WOUNDED MAN WIDE OF ISRAELI JEEP DRIVING THROUGH BURNING ROADBLOCK SLV PALESTINIANS THRWOING STONES FROM OLIVE GROVE TOWARD ISRAELIS WIDE OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS GETTING OUT OF JEEPS AND FIRING TOWARDS OLIVE GROVE JERUSALEM (OCTOBER 2, 2000) (REUTERS) SCU (SOUNDBITE) (English) EPHRAIM SNEH, ISRAELI DEPUTY DEFENCE MINISTER, SPEAKING IN CORRIDOR:" We call upon Mr Arafat to put an order on his side to contain terrorism and to contain violence. If he has the authority, thats the time to use it in order to enable the continuation of the peace process, given that he is sincere about it. If things are deteriorating, we will go a long way back. And it is not simply in the interests of the Palestinian people, it is not in the interests of the Israeli people and its not the interests of peace." RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 1, 2000) (REUTER) WIDE OF ISRAELI TANK ON HILLSIDE OUTSIDE RAMALLAH/SMV ISRAELI SOLDIER INSIDE TANK (2 SHOTS) SMV ISRAELI MACHINE GUN POST OUTSIDE RAMALLAH, LOOKING TOWARDS TOWN SLV ISRAELI SOLDIER OVERLOOKING BUILDINGS IN RAMALLAH WIDE OF VIEW OF BUILDINGS IN RAMALLAH WITH ISRAELI MILITARY LOOKOUT IN THE FOREGROUND SMV SANDBAGGED WINDOWS IN HALF-BUILT BUILDING IN RAMALLAH SMV ISRAELI SOLDIERS LOOKING AT RAMALLAH THROUGH BINOCULARS WIDE OF ISRAELI ROADBLOCK AT ENTRANCE TO RAMALLAH SMV ISRAELI SOLDIERS AT ROADBLOCK SCU ISRAELI SOLDIER AT ROADBLOCK STUDYING ROAD THROUGH BINOCULARS WIDE OF EMPTY ROAD IN RAMALLAH NABLUS, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 2, 2000) (REUTERS) WIDE OF BODY WRAPPED IN PALESTINIAN FLAG CARRIED IN HUGE CROWD WIDE OF HUGE CROWD OF MOUNERS FOLLOWING COFFIN WIDE OF FUNERAL PROCESSIN IN NABLUS STREETS (2 SHOTS)
- Reuters ID: LVA8BC510OFPQRIURF0VPGQDCJP
- Location: HEBRON, RAMALLAH AND NABLUS, WEST BANK/ JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:03:52
- Topics: General
- Story Text: Scores of Palestinians have been wounded as Palestinian
protesters fought running battles with Israeli soldiers firing
rubber-coated metal bullets the West Bank for the fifth day
running. In the West Bank city of Ramallah, Israeli troops
brought up tanks and heavy weapons, and faced armed Palestinian police
in a tense standoff.
Palestinian police and Israeli soldiers guarding a
Jewish settlement in Gaza exchanged fire in a shoot-out
involving heavy machine-gun and rocket fire directed from the
ground and from Israeli helicopters.
Israeli police killed an Arab, shooting him in the head
during clashes in the Israeli Arab town of Um al-Fahem on
Monday. Hospital sources said a 17-year-old boy from the town
also died of his wounds.
An Israeli Arab from Nazareth was shot dead in clashes
with Israeli police, Israeli security sources said.
Gunmen shot dead an Israeli Jew in the West Bank on
Monday. Israeli police said the 30-year-old man, killed at the
entrance to the West Bank village of Bidya, was probably
attacked by Palestinians but checks were still being made.
He was the first Jewish civilian to be killed in the
A 17-year-old Palestinian civilian and a Palestinian
security man, 25, were killed at the volatile Netzarim
junction in the Palestinian-ruled Gaza Strip, hospital sources
Medical sources said a 24-year-old Palestinian policeman
was shot dead by Israeli troops clashing with Palestinian
stone-throwers near a Jewish West Bank settlement close to
Of those killed during the unrest, 30 were Palestinians,
four were Israeli Arabs, one an Israeli border policeman and
one an Israeli Jewish civilian.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th October 2000 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None