- Title: WEST BANK: ISRAELIS MOVE TANKS INTO NABLUS AS VIOLENCE CONTINUES.
- Date: 2nd October 2000
- Summary: NABLUS, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 1, 2000) (REUTERS) GV/PAN: ISRAELI MILITARY ARMOUR BEING MOVED INTO NABLUS AREA GV/PAN: SOLDIER WALKING TO ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER (APC) MV/GV: ISRAELI SOLDIERS ON APC/ GLASS TURRETS AND GUNS ON APC (2 SHOTS) GV: ISRAELI MILITARY JEEPS DRIVING PAST TANK PARKED ON ROAD INTO NABLUS/ APC'S ON ROAD INTO NABLUS (7 SHOTS) CU/ZOOM OUT/GV: SIGN POINTING TO TOWN OF NABLUS, TANK AT JUNCTION OUTSIDE NABLUS RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 1, 2000) (REUTERS) GV/PAN: EXTERIOR OF CITY INN HOTEL IN RAMALLAH, WITH ISRAELI MILITARY JEEP DRIVING BY MCU: ISRAELI SOLDIERS AND JOURNALISTS TANKING COVER (3 SHOTS) SCU/MV: ISRAELI SOLDIER SHOOTING LIVE ROUNDS DURING SHOOTOUT WITH PALESTINIANS (2 SHOTS) GV/MV: PALESTINIAN POLICE MANOUEVRING THROUGH UNFINISHED APARTMENT BLOCKS IN RAMALLAH AND CREEPING THROUGH UNDERGROWTH DURING SHOOTOUT WITH ISRAELI SOLDIERS (4 SHOTS)
- Reuters ID: LVA8HEVLX9451PBN70H13J838XB4
- Location: NABLUS AND RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:03:32
- Topics: Conflict,General
- Story Text: Israel has started moving tanks into areas of
the West Bank where four days of violence have left up to 30
people dead - two Israelis and 28 Palestinians and Arab
Emotions have been running high for the fourth day as
Palestinians hurling stones and petrol bombs squared off with
Israeli soldiers fighting with live ammunition and
rubber-coated metal bullets throughout the West Bank and Gaza.
Israeli helicopters reportedly opened fire on
Palestinian civilians and armed police in the West Bank city
of Nablus on Sunday (October 1) on the fourth day of clashes
in which up to 28 Palestinians have been killed.
Witnesses say two helicopters fired at dozens of
Palestinians, both civilians and policemen, outside the Jewish
pilgrimage shrine of Joseph's Tomb in the Palestinian-ruled
town of Nablus. But it's not thought anyone was injured in
It was reported that an Israeli tank positioned in an area
in Nablus still under Israeli control also fired at
Earlier a ten-year old Palestinian boy died of gunshot
wounds at Joseph's Tomb.
The Israeli army said there had been an exchange of fire
between its forces and Palestinian police at the Nablus site,
revered by some religious Jews as the tomb of the biblical
The violence spilled over into the Jewish state itself.
Dozens of Israeli Arabs, including the mayor of Um
al-Fahem village, were wounded in the violence that has
undermined hopes that peace talks will soon end 52 years of
conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th October 2000 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None