VARIOUS: ISRAELI SOLDIERS AND PALESTINIAN DEMONSTRATORS FIGHT RUNNING BATTLES FOR FIFTH DAY.Record ID: 636804
- Title: VARIOUS: ISRAELI SOLDIERS AND PALESTINIAN DEMONSTRATORS FIGHT RUNNING BATTLES FOR FIFTH DAY.
- Date: 2nd October 2000
- Summary: JERUSALEM (OCTOBER 2, 2000) (REUTERS) GV/MV: ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER EHUD BARAK ARRIVING AT CABINET MEETING/ BARAK AND CABINET MINISTERS AT CABINET MEETING (4 SHOTS) NEAR BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 2, 2000) (REUTERS) GV/MV/CU: ISRAELI POLICE AND SOLDIERS AT ROAD BLOCK BETWEEN JERUSALEM AND BETHLEHEM (5 SHOTS) GAZA (OCTOBER 2, 2000) (REUTERS) GV/MV/TV: PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS MARCHING IN GAZA WITH PALESTINIAN FLAGS AND CALLING FOR PALESTINIAN STATE AND CHANTING IN ARABIC "ARIEL SHARON IS A PIG", "WE WILL NOT GIVE UP AL-AQSA MOSQUE" (3 SHOTS) VARIOUS: PROTESTERS SCALING WALLS/ PALESTINIANS SCALING GUARD TOWER/ PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS PULLING DOWN ISRAELI FLAG (6 SHOTS) GV/MV: WOUNDED PALESTINIANS CARRIED OFF (3 SHOTS)
- Reuters ID: LVA69OFN49UII3S540B0HBPVMW15
- Location: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL / GAZA / JERUSALEM / BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:03:03
- Topics: General
- Story Text: Scores of Palestinians have been wounded as Palestinian
protesters fought running street battles with Israeli soldiers
firing rubber-coated metal bullets in Gaza and the West Bank
for the fifth day running.
Overnight Israeli soldiers evacuated civilians from
Jewish settlements in Gaza using helicopters and well-guarded
convoys. The Israeli Defence Force said it helped get tourists
out but some settlers and troops were left in place.
There are six Jewish settlements in the Palestinian
territory of Gaza.
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak has met with his cabinet
for the first time since the eruption of deadly clashes
between Palestinian and Israelis in Jerusalem, West Bank and
the Gaza Strip, in an effort to end four days of violence.
The confrontations, in which at least 29 people have died,
were sparked by a visit by right-wing politician Ariel Sharon
to a controversial holy site in Jerusalem.
Protests have moved from the West Bank to areas in central
Israel, where Israeli Arabs have called for strikes in
sympathy with the protests.
In East Jerusalem, Palestinian shops were closed for a
fourth day on Monday (October 2) as a general strike continued
The Israeli army on Monday sealed off the West Bank and
Gaza Strip, barred Palestinians from leaving those areas and
banned Israelis from entering Palestinian-controlled
The Palestinian Authority controls about 40 percent of the
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th October 2000 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None