- Title: ENGLAND: "BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM" FILM PREMIER
- Date: 11th April 2002
- Summary: CAST POSING, SMILING INCLUDING THREE MAIN ACTRESSES PARMINDER NAGRA, KEIRA KNIGHTLY, AND SHAZNAY LEWIS (2 SHOTS)
- Reuters ID: LVAE6ET2F03FU4JZJQG11ATJV7S6
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND AND VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:00:11
- Topics: General,Sports
- Story Text: The injury to David Beckham overshadowed the launch of a film inspired in the England captain.
The very special guest from Manchester United, recovering from a broken toe which threatens his participation in the 2002 World Cup, could not attend the premiere of "Bend it Like Beckham" on Wednesday (April 11) in London.
Gurinder Chadha ("Baji on the Beach" and "What's Cooking?") is the director, writer and producer of this British-Asian film about the conflicts between traditional culture and contemporary society.
Newcomer Parminder Nagra plays Jess, a teenage Indian girl who dreams of playing soccer like her hero, David Beckham.
But, with her traditional Asian upbringing, her family would rather see her in a bridal gown, than in a kit and boots. Her mother even asks her "Who'd want a girl who plays soccer all day but can't make chapattis?"
Keira Knightly plays Jules, Jess's best friend, who dreams of playing football in America, for the WUSA.
Though Jules's father (Frank Harper) is very supportive, her mother (Juliet Stevenson) would prefer that Jules be more lady-like, or at least have a boyfriend.
Stevenson gives a hilarious performance, as she reminds her daughter "There is a reason Sporty Spice is the only one without a fellow."
With Jules's encouragement, Jess joins the Hounslow Harriers women's team. However, knowing that her parents would not approve, Jess keeps it a secret from her family, including her newly-engaged sister. She tells them she is working a summer job at record store chain, instead attending practice and games throughout the season.
With the help of their teammates and their coach, Joe (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), Jules and Jess are well on their way to achieving their goals. Joe, especially, provides the most support, until both girls fall for him and their friendship is truly tested.
The film opens in the United Kingdom on Friday, April 12, 2002.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th April 2002 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None