ITALY: THE ASSOCIATION FOR THE REAL ITALIAN PIZZA WANTS TO SET A QUALITY MARKING FOR PIZZASRecord ID: 639570
- Title: ITALY: THE ASSOCIATION FOR THE REAL ITALIAN PIZZA WANTS TO SET A QUALITY MARKING FOR PIZZAS
- Date: 27th February 1998
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (RECENT) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV DINERS WALKING INTO PIZZERIA 0.09 2. CU/SV OF PIZZA-MAKER WORKING AND FLIPPING PIZZA DOUGH IN AIR/PIZZA-MAKER PLACING TOMATO SAUCE, CHEESE AND OLIVE OIL ON TOP OF PIZZA DOUGH (4 SHOTS) 0.43 3. SV PIZZA BEING PLACED IN OVEN 0.54 4. MCU PRESIDENT OF ASSOCIATION FOR THE REAL ITALIAN PIZZA STEFANO DI MICHELE SAYING WE HAVE DECIDED ON THIS STANDARDISATION IN ORDER TO MAKE EVERYONE AWARE EXACTLY WHAT THE NAPOLITAN PIZZA IS LIKE (ITALIAN) 1.08 5. SV/CU PIZZA-MAKER TAKING HOT PIZZA OUT OF OVEN/FRESH BASIL LEAVES BEING PLACED ON HOT PIZZA/WAITRESS TAKING PIZZAS TO DINERS/DINERS EATING (8 SHOTS) 1.54 6. MCU DINER RITA MONTANARI SAYING THE ITALIANS BY NATURE ARE EXPERTS IN ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEIR FOOD. BUT I BELIEVE THAT IT (THE STANDARDISATION) WILL BE OF HELP NOT ONLY TO THEM, BUT PARTICULARLY TO THE TOURISTS WHO WILL BE ABLE TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN DIFFERENT QUALITY PIZZAS (ITALIAN) 2.10 BRESCIA, ITALY (RECENT) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 7. SV ITALIAN PIZZA ACADEMY ACROBATS SHOWING OFF THEIR SKILLS (2 SHOTS) 2.29 8. MCU PRESIDENT OF PIZZA ACADEMY ANTONIO CONTE SAYING "THOSE WHO WANT TO BENEFIT FROM THE SUPERIOR QUALITY OF THE TRUE NAPOLITAN PIZZA NEED TO STICK BY THE ORIGINAL CRAFTSMANSHIP RULES. THAT'S ALL ANYONE NEEDS TO DO TO GAIN SUCH QUALITY (ITALIAN) 2.38 9. SV/SLV OF EXPERTS THROWING/ SPINNING DOUGH (2 SHOTS) 2.47 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA5NIPPMSCT6R4PW7C9PLD9B7CC
- Location: ROME AND BRESCIA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:02:48
- Story Text: Quality control on wine is common practice in most wine producing countries, but now the Italians believe it is time to place a stamp of quality on the pizza.
The Association for the Real Italian Pizza is urging Italy's Uni group which is responsible for setting a mark of quality on all products made in Italy, to set a quality marking for the Margherita and Marinara pizzas.
This standard, they hope, will eventually be taken to the European Commission to be approved on a European level.
Stefano Di Michele, former pizza making champion and now President of the Association for the Rome area, said a specific list of ingredients has been given to standard- setting Uni for the making of both types of pizza.
For the Margherita, tomato, mozzarella and basil and for the Marinara tomato, garlic and oregano.But all ingredients must be of a specific type, any old tomato or cheese, just won't do.
Tomatoes must be plum tomatoes of 8 millimetres in diameter, cheese must be mozzarella, olive oil must be extra virgin and the only salt permitted is sea salt.
There is no question of using a rolling pin to shape the dough, only hand tossed dough is permissable."Italians by nature are experts in everything to do with food" said pizza eater Rita Montanri.
"But this kind of quality control will help in particular tourists to distinguish good quality pizzas" Montanari said.
Even if Europeans live up to the standard of pizza ingredients it is unlikely they will ever match the acrobatic dough throwing expertise of those from the Pizza Academy in Brescia, northern Italy.
The academy runs courses for people who want to learn the pizza making trade with a bit of Italian flair thrown in."Those who want to benefit from the superior quality of the true Neopolitan pizza need to stick by the original craftsmanship rules," urged President of the Pizza Academy Antonio Conte.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th March 1998 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None