- Title: FRANCE: STRIKING PUBLIC SECTOR WORKERS CRIPPLE AIR AND RAIL TRAVEL
- Date: 24th November 1995
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 24, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV/SV TRAFFIC JAMS (3 SHOTS) 0.23 2. CU STATE-RUN RER SNCF (FRENCH RAILWAYS) SIGN / PULL BACK TO STATION ENTRANCE 0.33 3. SV CLOSED METRO STATION 0.37 4. GV SAINT LAZARE STATION WITH EMPTY PLATFORMS 0.52 5. LV QUEUE OF PEOPLE WAITING FOR BUSES 0.57 6. SLV CLOSED TICKET BOOTH 1.03 7. SLV MAN TRYING TO HITCH A LIFT 1.10 8. SV CASH POINT 1.13 9. SLV EXTERIOR OF CLOSED POST OFFICE 1.18 10. LV ORLY AIRPORT 1.22 11. CU BOARD INSIDE TERMINAL SHOWING CANCELLED FLIGHTS 1.27 12. GV WAITING PASSENGERS (2 SHOTS) 1.41 13. GV DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING WITH BANNERS AND PLACARDS IN PROTEST AT PROPOSED WELFARE REFORMS (2 SHOTS) 1.53 14. SV BAND PLAYING 2.01 15. CU UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN SAYING I WOULD LIKE THE GOVERNMENT TO RECONSIDER (REFORMS), I AM CONCERNED BY THREAT TO CIVIL SERVICE PENSIONS (FRENCH) 2.16 16. PAN OF RALLY 2.25 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAAM0KU97NDQC98OB604BLEQ2ON
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:02:27
- Story Text: Striking public sector workers crippled air and rail travel, and many services across France on Friday (November 24) as tens of thousands of demonstrators marched in Paris and other cities to protest at government austerity plans.
The 24-hour stoppage forced millions of commuters to walk to work or brave rush-hour traffic jams -- of up to 20 km (miles) into Paris -- as trains and buses operated a skeleton service.
Schools, hospitals, post offices and other public services closed or were curtailed by the protest, which hit harder than a similar strike by civil servants over pay last month.
"I would like the government to reconsider (reforms).I am concerned by the threat to civil service pensions," said a woman at the march in Paris, where rock bands belted out anti-Juppe songs.
In addition, two of the country's biggest trade unions called a general strike for next Tuesday in another test of Prime Minister Alain Juppe's ability to overhaul the welfare system and make civil servants contribute longer to qualify for a pension.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th December 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None