- Title: FRANCE - THREE IN HOSPITAL AFTER TEAR GAS CAUSES PANIC IN PARIS CINEMAS
- Date: 9th November 1994
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 9, 1994) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/CRANE-DOWN EXT. LINCOLN CINEMA (2 SHOTS) 0.05 2. SV/ZOOM-OUT GENERAL VIEWS OF INTERIOR/MCU POSTER OF FILM TSAHAL' (3 SHOTS) 0.20 3. MCU NEWSPAPER CUTTING OF REVIEW OF FILM TSAHAL' 0.24 4. SV/CRANE-DOWN TO STEPS LEADING DOWN TO SCREENING ROOM AT LINCOLN CENTRE (2 SHOTS) 0.29 5. LV INT.SCREENING ROOM (2 SHOTS) 0.36 6. HAS,SV/ZOOM-IN/MCU MARK ON FLOOR WHERE TEAR GAS GRENADE LANDED (3 SHOTS) 0.45 7. MCU FILM'S DIRECTOR CLAUDE LANZMANN SAYING THAT IT IS JUST A BEAUTIFUL FILM AND IT IS A PITY THAT THE INCIDENT OCCURRED BUT THE FILM WILL CONTINUE TO BE SHOWN (FRENCH) 1.03 8. LAS,SV/ZOOM-OUT/CRANE DOWN/GV EXT. CINEMA/BILL BOARD OF FILM (4 SHOTS) 1.09 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA62OBIQ9BPF3P93NH0ZO4N6DAD
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:01:09
- Story Text: Three people were taken to hospital after tear gas caused panic in two Paris cinemas on Wednesday (November 9) during the first public showings of a film about the Israeli army, emergency services said.
Police and fire services rushed to the Elysees-Lincoln cinema near the central Champs-Elysees avenue after gas was released from a canister during the screening of French director Claude Lanzmann's five-hour film Tsahal, named after the Hebrew acronym of the Israel Defence Forces.
A fire service spokesman said three people were overcome by tear gas fumes but were not seriously injured.
Speaking later at the Elysees Lincoln, Lanzmann said it was a pity that excited people should try and prevent others from seeing his film, which he called "beautiful and strong". He said that from now on the police would protect the cinemas screening the film and there would be no further problems.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th November 1994 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None