- Title: ITALY : VOTING ON ITALIAN MINI-BUDGET
- Date: 7th March 1995
- Summary: ROME AND MILAN, ITALY (MARCH 7, 1995) (RTV-ACCESS ALL) ROME, ITALY 1. SV EXTERIOR ITALIAN SENATE 0.04 2. SV ITALIAN FLAG HANGING FROM BUILDING 0.09 3. SV INTERIOR SENATE 0.13 4. SV DEPUTIES DURING DEBATE. (5 SHOTS) 0.27 5. SV FORMER PRIME MINISTER GIULIO ANDREOTTI 0.32 6. SV SENATE 0.39 MILAN, ITALY 7. SV BORSA / TRADERS (8 SHOTS) 1.13 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA1QPJC3EZWQGPUAN3OM78AOCXB
- Location: ROME AND MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:15
- Story Text: Italian Prime Minister Lamberto Dini on Tuesday (March 7) continued his attempts to get his budget passed with the support of former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.
Berlusconi and his Freedom Alliance have refused to support the mini-budget until Dini sets out a specific timetable for fresh elections.
Dini on Tuesday said his government might be able to step down by the end of April, but the Freedom Alliance has said only an unequivocal committment to elections in June would attract their support in parliament.
The mini-budget is expected to be approved by the Senate - Italy's upper house - but if the Freedom Alliance maintains its opposition the bill is unlikely to pass the lower house Chamber of Deputies.
Dini's emergency budget seeks to raise 20 trillion lire (12 billion United States dollars) mostly by raising taxes. Italy's public debt is 120 per cent of Gross Domestic Product and Dini's government of non-political technocrats was installed in January to carry out essential economic reforms.
Dini has repeatedly said the government will resign once its task is completed.
The lira has been pummelled to record lows against the German mark in the political uncertainty caused by the budget deadlock. On Tuesday Milan's borsa - stockmarket - traded slowly with the market waiting for the vote.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:22nd March 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None