- Title: GREECE: HUNDREDS OF FIRES PLAGUE GREECE
- Date: 27th July 1998
- Summary: (DAY VIEWS) 1. SLV VILLAGE IN SMOKE/ FIRETRUCK OUTSIDE HOUSE 0.03 2. SLV/SV VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS FIGHTING WITH FIRE IN YARDS (4 SHOTS) 0.20 3. SV VARIOUS OF HOUSES ON FIRE (3 SHOTS) 0.36 4. SLV/SV VARIOUS OF FOREST FIRE NEAR ROAD (8 SHOTS) 1.22 5. SV MOTROCYCLE DRIVING THROUGH SMOKE 1.25 6. SLV PLANES DROPPING WATER (3 SHOTS) 1.44 (NIGHT VIEWS) 7. SLV/SV VARIOUS OF FOREST FIRE (6 SHOTS) 2.10 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAB5TQW6D4CD6QL4ZA80SFJP0U1
- Location: PERAHORA, CORINTH, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Duration: 00:02:10
- Story Text: Hundreds of fires have been plaguing Greece in the last two months with blazes igniting around the country on a daily basis.
The latest fire in Corinth burned villagers homes as firefighters scrambled helplessly to control the blaze.
The huge fire in the region of Perahora in Corinth was in full force on Monday (July 27), burning thousands of acres of land and homes in villages.
Firefighters are stretched for resources and locals have joined in the fight.Some locals in the area are suffering from smoke inhalation.
Airplines have been working overtime to try to extinguish the fires which are scattered over large areas.
Firefghters suspect they are dealing with arson since the fires are igniting simoultaneously across the country and in more than one location of the same forest Greece is currently experiencing its second heatwave this summer.
Temperatures reached 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit) on Monday and according to the National Meteorological Service were expected to soar to 40 and 41 Celsius (104 and 105.8 Fahrenheit) on Tuesday and Wednesday Earlier this month, Greeks and tourists suffered for four days under the scorching sun as temperatures soared to 45 Celsius (113 Fahrenheit) in some places throughout the country.
The new heatwave is expected to be slightly more benign -- not exceeding 41 Celsius.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:11th August 1998 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None