PHILIPPINES : MOURNERS GATHER TO MARK THE RETURN OF THE BODY OF THE MAID FROM SINGAPORERecord ID: 639612
- Title: PHILIPPINES : MOURNERS GATHER TO MARK THE RETURN OF THE BODY OF THE MAID FROM SINGAPORE
- Date: 18th March 1995
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (MARCH 18, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV PHILIPPINE AIRLINES PLANE TAXIING 0.04 2. SV PHILIPPINE FIRST LADY AMELITA RAMOS AND PARTY WAITING AT TARMAC 0.09 3. SCU WOMAN CRYING 0.11 4. SV PRIEST BLESSING CASKET 0.18 5. SV CASKET WITH PLANE IN BACKGROUND 0.25 6. SV FIRST LADY AMELITA RAMOS READING OUT STATEMENT 0.33 7. SV CASKET BEING LOADED INTO HEARSE 0.38 8. SCU SENATOR ERNESTO MACEDA SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 0.52 9. SV CONVOY WITH HEARSE DRIVING AWAY 1.10 10. SV NEWSPAPER HEADLINES ON MARCH 18, 1995 1.13 11. SV HEADLINE THAT SAYS " FILIPINOS ENRAGED" 1.15 12. CU HEADLINE THAT SAYS "WELCOME HOME, FLOR" 1.19 SEQUENCE 8 TRANSCRIPT: MACEDA :"TO THE END THAT IF IT IS NECESSARY, WE SHOULD SUSPEND THE SENDING OF OVERSEAS CONTRACT WORKERS TO BLACKLISTED COUNTRIES WHERE FILIPINOS ARE BEING SHABBILY TREATED." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVADIL128C0C03C34VE3GSOXM3OJ
- Location: MANILA, THE PHILIPPINES
- Country: Phillippines
- Duration: 00:01:22
- Story Text: Thousands of mourners led by Philippine First Lady Amelita Ramos gathered in Manila on Saturday (March 18) to mark the return of the body of the Filipina maid who was hanged in Singapore on Friday.
The body of Flor Contemplacion arrived shortly after midday on board a Philippine Airlines flight from Singapore.
Some mourners waved white handkerchiefs while others clenched their fists and carried placards saying "Justice for Flor Contemplacion" as her body passed through Manila's streets from the airport.
The 42-year old Contemplacion died on the gallows in Changi prison for a double murder, despite last minute appeals and reports of new evidence which claimed to vindicate her.
Politicians lost no time in criticizing the Philippine government for mishandling the case.
"We should suspend the sending of overseas contract workers to blacklisted countries where Filipinos are being shabbily treated," Senator Ernesto Maceda said.
Philippine President Fidel V. Ramos paid tribute to Contemplacion's family at ceremonies in Iloilo city marking the 50th anniversary of the liberation of a group of central Philippine islands.
He promised to "minister to the needs" of Contemplacion's family and said he had set up a scholarship fund for the education of the Contemplacion's four children.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:2nd April 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None