- Title: NETHERLANDS: TATTOO CONVENTION
- Date: 23rd April 1995
- Summary: AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS (APRIL 23, 1995) (RTV- ACCESS ALL) 1. SV INTERIOR BEURS VAN BERLAGE EXHIBITION HALL 0.04 2. SV VARIOUS OF TATTTOO CONVENTION / PEOPLE BEING TATTOOED 0.29 3. CU MAN SHOWING OFF TATTOOS 0.40 4. SCU PROPRIETOR OF HANKY PANKY, AMSTERDAM'S LARGEST TATTOO PARLOUR, HENK SCHIFFMACHER SPEAKING ABOUT THE WAY AIDS HAS MADE TATTOOISTS AND PEOPLE GETTING TATTOOS MUCH MORE CAREFUL ABOUT STERILISING NEEDLES AND GENERALLY TAKING MORE CARE (ENGLISH) 1.14 5. SV WINNER OF ALL-BODY TATTOO COMPETITION KUMASO OF JAPAN, MEMBER OF HORIOSHI TATTOOING FAMILY, SHOWING OWN AWARD-WINNING CHEST TATTOOS 1.26 6. SV COUPLE SHOWING BACK TATTOOS 1.30 7. SV BACK TATTOO 1.44 8. SV PEOPLE AT CONVENTION 1.50 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA5W4X82ALGTV84Z0V3DFONKWU5
- Location: AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
- Country: Netherlands
- Duration: 00:01:53
- Story Text: Tattoo artists and tattooed people from around the world converged on the Netherlands for the sixth Amsterdam tattoo convention, which ended on Sunday (April 23).
More than 7,000 people took part in the three day event, many taking the opportunity to be tattooed by some of the 80 tattoo artists attending the convention.
The body-artists competed in categories such as Best New Tattoo, Best All-Body Tattoo and Best Tribal Tattoo.
Participants came from Europe, the United States, Taiwan and Japan. The winner of the All-Body category was Kumaso of Japan, a member of the Horioshi tattooing family who designed his own winning tattoos.
The tattoo festival began in 1983, and was originally held every three years. Organisers say it has become the world's premier tattoo convention.
Henk Schiffmacher - festival organiser and the proprietor of Hanky Panky, Amsterdam's largest tattoo parlour - said tattooing had enjoyed a resurgence in popularity and was safer than it had ever been because of fears of the AIDS (Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome) virus.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th May 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None